04.

THE HOWLING.

     04. CHAPTER FOUR : victory does not make us conquerors (n.e)

     "There's something inside me that needs to go somewhere. I feel quiet - reckless - crazy. I feel like I could shove my knuckles, and it wouldn't even hurt. I feel dead inside."

Rowan stared. at his pale complexion. Her head was tilted ever so slightly, and her eyes were still blood shot from crying. The scabbed wound from Mason's death had been reopened, and she was back covered in grief. She slept in Tyler's bed for the first time in years. The last time being the night before she left Mystic Falls.

He was staring back at her. His head held down, probably taking too much energy to hold all the way up, and his eyes were void of all emotion. Seemingly as drained as the girl sitting on the floor in front of him.

"I get it," she said, her legs stretched out in front of her, and her hand lazily thrown in her lap. "Why you don't want to feel. It's bullshit, the whole feelings thing." Stefan merely continued to stare at her. "You know I don't like you. Hell, I literally tried to bite your head off, but you're the only one I can talk to." More staring, no talking. "Mostly because you don't talk back."

"I'm not mute, Rowan," Stefan finally spoke, and Rowan raised her eyebrows.

"Obviously."

"I'm also not your therapist."

Rowan shrugged. "Therapy is too expensive."

"Both of your parents have been mayor's. You can afford it, so leave me alone."

Rowan wrinkled her nose, and pulled something from her bag along with a plastic cup. "If we're going to continue this, here." Veins protruded from around Stefan's eyes as the coppery smell of blood filled the dusty air. "You tell anyone about this, I'll pull your teeth out one by one." Carefully, Rowan walked over to the chained Salvatore. Bringing the cup to his lips, Rowan tilted the cup, allowing the liquid to fill the vampire's mouth. Once it was empty, she took it away.

His complexion visibly colored, and Rowan went back to her place on the floor. She sighed and reveled in the silence as her eyes drifted closed. Just as her muscles began to lose their tension, an echo of her phone alert sounded. Pulling the phone from her pocket, she groaned.

"Looks like our time is up," Stefan mused dryly.

Rowan stood, a scowl set on her face. "Apparently there's a new lead on how to kill an original." Stefan raised his eyebrows, dropping his head back. "I'll tell in our next session."

Without another word, Rowan walked out of the old Forbes cell, locking the door as she did.

It'd felt like days since she'd been in the sunlight, and though it was warm on her skin, she'd normally bask in it, all she wanted to do was go back to bed. All of a sudden she was back where she was all of those months ago, depressed - angry. She was angry with herself because of the depression she felt. The Lockwood's were the most powerful families in Mystic Falls. A family full of mayors, werewolf, and strength. It wasn't in her blood to be like this, but losing someone once took a toll on Rowan. And then to lose that person again, it broke her heart.

Running on two legs wasn't near as fast as running on four, but Rowan still made it to the old property in record time. It didn't take long before she was back in front of the gaping hole in the wall that Damon caused, and she heard Elena and Alaric.