Four

On shaky legs, Blaine walked down the driveway and to the car; not daring to look back because he knew if he did he wouldn’t be able to leave. He opened the car door and slipped inside. He barely had his seatbelt on before Wes went off. “What. The hell. Was that??” He yelled, motioning to the window that had been facing Kurt’s house before they pulled off. Blaine kept his mouth shut for the entire ride back to Columbus.  Wes continued to rant, but Blaine was barely listening; all of his thoughts centered instead on Kurt. He caught some random words every now and then.

“Thoughtless!” Kurt. “Irresponsible!” Kurt and his deep and beautiful blue eyes. “Insane!” Kurt and the adorable way his nose scrunches up when he laughs. “Just plain stupid!” Kurt’s voice, Kurt’s sarcasm, Kurt’s fire…Kurt. “What were you thinking?!” Blaine snapped out of his reverie when Wes grew quiet, obviously awaiting an answer. Blaine honestly didn’t have one.

He knew Wes was right; this whole thing was crazy; staying out so late, turning off his phone, kissing Kurt… Well, not really kissing Kurt. It was just a peck on his cheek. A peck that left Blaine’s lips tingling and blood rushing… “Blaine? Blaine!” Blaine’s head snapped up, his eyes focusing on Wes’ stoic expression. “What do you have to say for yourself?” Blaine thought for a moment; really thought about everything; and finally came to an answer. “I don’t know.” Wes just blinked, clearly unimpressed by his response. “Wes, I honestly have no idea.”

Well,” he began with a sigh. “I guess it doesn’t matter now anyway; we’re leaving Sunday. I tried to move our seats to a sooner flight,” Blaine snapped to attention. “But none were available.” He let out a relieved sigh. 

“Wes?”

“Yes, Blaine?” He asked, his voice weary.

“Kurt said ‘hi’.”

Wes looked at Blaine curiously, but said nothing. Blaine was grateful. He knew that Wes could tell that something was up, but he didn’t push Blaine to know anything. He loved that about Wes. He was his manager, but he was still his best friend.

Which is why he would understand when Blaine didn’t tell him about his plans—his date?—with Kurt the next day.

When Blaine woke the next morning, he called down to the front desk and spoke with the hotel concierge about things to do and places to eat in Columbus. When he hung up, he had reservations for two at an intimate Thai restaurant downtown, an activity planned, and a car scheduled to pick him up in an hour. He texted Kurt good morning, and let him know that he would be in Lima in just over an hour to pick him up. When Kurt responded his consent, Blaine headed to the bathroom where he showered, shaved and gelled. He dressed simply to avoid being recognized. When he was ready, he grabbed his wallet and phone and headed out the door. He waited until he was in the car and halfway to Lima before he texted Wes. He told him that he was in his room working on some lyrics for the day. Wes usually didn’t bother him when he said he was having an ‘inspired day’. Blaine hoped that would hold true. He would text Wes during the day to avoid him checking on him. Blaine hated lying to Wes, but he knew there was no way he’d be able to see Kurt and take him out if Wes had anything to say about it. He tucked his phone away with a sigh and looked out the window.

The trip went by way too slowly for Blaine’s liking, so when they finally pulled up in front of Kurt’s house, Blaine practically jumped out of his seat. He bounced up the drive way and to the door, bubbling with excitement as he rang the bell and waited. Kurt pulled open the door, and Blaine’s heart did a flip in his chest. “Hi,” he breathed, eyes locked on Kurt’s. “Hey,” Kurt said softly. Their eyes held and both boys were lost. The moment was broken when a throat cleared behind Kurt. Burt appeared next to Kurt in the doorway. “Blaine,” he nodded, placing a hand on Kurt’s shoulder. “Hello Mr. H-Burt,” Blaine nodded back a bit nervously. Burt looked Blaine up and down a couple times, said “have him back by curfew,” and with a pat on Kurt’s back, was gone. Kurt closed the front door with a sigh, and they walked to the car.