One

True to her word, Blaine received an email from Keelie the very next day with his booking and flight information. He was set to leave on Thursday, arrive Thursday night, and meet the Hummel-Hudson family on Friday around 10:30 at the hospital in Columbus.

Naturally, Wes had blown a gasket when Blaine told him about his upcoming trip. He called Blaine impulsive and even careless; but when Blaine explained the reason behind his last minute trip, Wes immediately calmed down. He still yelled at Blaine for skipping their meeting and not including him in his decision to grant the wish, but he understood the cause and its importance. Blaine would just have to cram extra studio time when he got back if he hoped to release his EP on time.

He wasn’t worried though; Wes always found a way to make things happen, and Warbler Records’ newest break out star, Blaine Anderson already had a platinum selling album released. If he was late, releasing his EP, the world would surely go on.

Blaine was in no condition to write and record anything now anyway. Not after the phone call he had received the previous day. All he could think about was the wish that the patient—Kurt Hummel—had made. Why would he spend his last wish on something as simple as spending a day with him?

When he heard the simple wish, Blaine immediately suggested that Kurt save his wish; Blaine would just visit Kurt on his own. But Keelie insisted that Kurt had made his wish and it had to be granted by the foundation.

So, here he was, Wednesday evening, packing his backs and panicking. What if Kurt didn’t like him? If he was a fan, maybe he only liked the pop superstar that the media portrayed. Blaine wrote all of his own music, but for his first album, the record company wanted his music to make the charts; lyrics and depth were not a concern. Fans who met him often left surprised by his real self. What if he wasn’t what Kurt was expecting or wanting? Kurt used his dying wish to meet Blaine the Warbler, the famous pop singer. What if he didn’t like the ordinary, bow tie wearing, disco loving, Blaine Anderson? Blaine would make it up to him. Grant him some other wish himself; a better wish. 

Blaine tried to keep his thoughts and nerves under control as he threw one last pair of ankle busters and another bow tie into his suitcase for good measure. He zipped it up and walked into the kitchen to grab something to eat. He browsed the fridge and cabinets, finally deciding on a granola bar; he wasn’t that hungry. Chewing a bite, he walked out to the living room, sat down on the black leather sofa, and grabbed his laptop off of the side table. He turned it on and logged on to twitter. He began replying to some tweets from fans when an idea hit him. He went onto Facebook, clicked the search bar, and took a deep breath before typing in ‘Kurt Hummel’.

Kurt Hummel. Kurt. Blaine turned the name over in his mind, savoring the way it felt on his tongue.

The first person listed was in Lima, Ohio, so Blaine clicked the icon. The page loaded, revealing a young looking, pale boy with striking blue eyes, his chestnut hair perfectly coiffed.  His arms were wrapped around a thick black girl and a petite brunette with a Streisand-esque nose. Blaine scrolled down, heart beating a little faster after seeing the beautiful boy.

This was crazy. What if this wasn’t even his Kurt? Then again, what if it was? Wait—his Kurt? Blaine shook his head to clear it and looked back to the computer screen. There were wall posts from people named Mike, Tina, Mercedes, Rachel, and some others, all from the group ‘WMHS Glee Club’.  All of the posts were get well soon messages, some ending with “we miss you” and  “nationals needs you”, others ending with “keep fighting!” Blaine felt awful. Kurt was 18, according to his profile—only two years younger than himself—and he was missing out on what Blaine assumed to be his senior year of high school. With a sigh he closed his laptop and set it aside.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he closed his eyes and tried not to think too much about how sad the whole thing was in retrospect. He couldn’t imagine knowing that he had a limited time to live. However, he pushed all thoughts of Kurt’s condition aside. He wasn’t going to meet Kurt and look at him with sympathetic eyes. He was going to talk to him like nothing was wrong. Like he was a regular person, because he was, and Blaine figured he got a lot of sympathy already and didn’t need anymore. If there was anything he learned from A Walk to Remember, it was that a person shouldn’t be viewed by their weaknesses.

After a quick glance at the clock hanging on the wall, Blaine decided to hop in the shower and turn in early. He padded into his bedroom and quickly undressed, tossing his clothes in the hamper and heading to his ensuite bathroom. He switched the water on and stepped in when it was nice and hot. He rolled his shoulders and let the water wash over him, rinsing his anxiety down the drain. When he was sated, cheeks flushed and muscles lax from the steady, pounding heat, he turned the water off and stepped out, the steam billowing out around him.

He toweled off and threw on some pajamas, deciding to tame the wild mass of curls on his head in the morning. He laid down and set his alarm for early the next morning so that he could meet with Wes as planned before his flight took off. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander, thoughts of the trip and upcoming meeting churning around in his head. A pair of piercing blue eyes haunted his dreams as he slipped into sleep.