5: merc

Day after day, that was our routine. He wanted to make sure I had full control with not an inch of room to slip up. And day after day I dealt with migraines and vomiting as my body dealt with holding the anger in. More than a week flew by, and the second I felt the anger, I could make it stop. And finally, Bucky and I agreed I could rest.

The next morning, I was woken by the creaky closet door opening slowly, as if that was enough to keep me asleep. I opened my eyes to bright sunlight and Bucky pulling on a tight black shirt to my right. Sitting up, I yawned. "What are you doing up?"

He turned around to face me and smiled like he had just seen the sun after a long winter: finally okay. "Sorry, didn't mean to wake you." He adjusted the long sleeves of his shirt and sat next to me on the bed. In a moment of silence as he studied me and I was too tired to talk, he tenderly put his flesh hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead. "I have to go out."

"Out?" I repositioned myself, uncomfortable with the thought of being alone. "Out where?"

He ran his thumb over my cheek bone, not answering.

I thought of what I could say to convince him. Whether it was safe for him or not, I didn't want him leaving. Who knew what life was like outside of our safe house.

"I wanted us to take a day to stay in bed." I muttered, hoping it would work. I got up on my knees and pressed my lips to his neck. "Not focusing on raging cortisol and government agencies out to get us or any of that . . . just you and I."

He bit his lip, as if seriously considering the idea, then sighed, dropping his hand to hold mine. "Maybe when I get back. I promise it won't take long. I'm just going to the store to get food. We didn't have much to begin with, and now we're out."

I breathed a sigh of release, sitting back. It was away from here, but it was no secret revenge plot against Hydra created behind my back. As if that was something he would do and not me. I nodded. "How far?"

His right hand fiddled with my left as my right grabbed his metal one. His first reaction was to yank it away, but he kept looking at me and laced his cold fingers with my own. I smiled at his effort.

"Almost three hours by foot." He answered.

The thought of him leaving my unconscious body here for multiple hours not that long ago made me feel weird. I knew he didn't have a choice, and by how he acted around me I'm sure it must have torn him up, but there wasn't another way. Now, there was.

"Let me come with you." I suggested, my voice still quiet. He hesitated, lowering his gaze to our hands. I let go of his right hand and ran my hand through his hair, trying to get his attention. "Please, Bucky. I don't want to be here alone."

He nodded slowly, looking me in the eye. "I just don't know who's watching us, Maisie. I don't want to lose you. Not again."

"I'm no safer here and you know that." I retaliated.

With a swift kiss to my right knuckles, he stood up. "Suit up, Mrs. Detrych."

I stood up quickly, elated. "Suit up?"

As he dug through the closet, he glanced back at me. "It's really cold." He turned around with an armful of clothing and handed it to me. "Suit up." He reiterated.

I pulled on the jeans and thermal shirt, along with heavy boots and a hooded trench coat - all black. Bucky had nearly the same thing, except his coat was only to his hips. He pulled a half ski mask over his head and onto his neck, giving me a wink before pulling it up over his nose so not even the slightest bit of his beard or anything below showed.