Chapter 9

I ducked to the side, hoping they hadn't seen me; my heart racing like it wanted out of my chest. I peeked back out when the flashlight beam stopped shining in the window. The men both had weapons on their belts, which I failed to notice at first glance. They broke apart and the two men headed for the front door. 

I swallowed knowing this was bad news. But what the hell do I do? I shut the bedroom door quietly and decided to go find Roy, dread settling in my stomach. I had just reached the apartment door when I heard a gunshot and someone scream downstairs. I threw open the door to find others sticking their heads into the hallway.

"Get back in your rooms and lock the door!" I commanded.

One by one the doors closed and the heads disappeared, listening to my instructions. I could hear heavy footfalls coming up the stairs and then one of the strangers from outside hit the landing fast. His face whipped down the hallway, his eyes locking with mine. Panicked, I slammed the door and flipped the deadbolt and the chain. I backed up a few feet as I saw the door handle twist. The door vibrated with a loud bang as he tried to get inside by ramming it.

"What is that?" Chloe asked, her eyes wide.

"Get back in your room and hide!" I pointed and she scurried back inside.

I backed up further as the banging intensified. With one last hit, the door flew open landing flat on the scuffed floor. The hinges and locks had been forced out of the wall, the aged wood not able to stand against the barrage. The intruder fell with the door but was getting up quickly. He looked up at me, no expression on his face. Without a word he got up and started towards me. I turned and ran to the sofa bed, my attacker quick on my heels.

I needed something to use as a weapon and my gun was stashed at the bottom of my backpack. Fucking think of something! My eyes spotted the knitting paraphernalia in the bag on the floor and as I dashed over the sofa bed, I grabbed one of the metallic needles sticking out. I rolled to the other side of the bed, but realized I had trapped myself. The man stood on the other side of the pullout couch, mirroring my moves as I moved from side to side like a trapped animal. He knew that I knew I had nowhere to go. He placed a boot on the bed and hoisted himself up. I tried to run around the end of the bed but he lunged for me at the same time.

We hit the wall and fell to the floor, him half landing on me. My whole side screamed in pain from the impact and I yelled out. I heard him make a pained sound, confusing since I was the one who took the brunt of the tackle. I struggled with everything I had, but eventually registered that he was slowly slipping off of me. He lifted his head, confusion awash on his paled face, and then looked down. I followed his gaze to see the knitting needle sticking out of his chest.

Hot blood was pouring from the wound and I could feel it trickling down my arm. He made a wheezing sound and with a final shove, I got him off of me. He rolled onto his back, the needle still protruding from his chest. I shuffled back from him just in case. His hands were shaking pointlessly beside the knitting needle; he must have been in shock. His breathing was labored and blood was spewed with each exhale. I must have hit a lung.

He had run headlong into the sharp end of the weapon, taking himself out. That could have been me if I had been holding the needle the other way. My veins were now frozen with liquid nitrogen at the thought. I could be the one dying right now.

My head flew to the busted door when it groaned from added weight. The other stranger was standing on it. He took in the scene with a passive face, his eyes landing on his fallen comrade and my retreating form. Now what do I do?

"Bailey are you okay?" the bedroom door inched open and my heart leapt into my throat.

The man's face turned to see Chloe appear and I screamed as loud as I could, already getting up.

"RUN!"

The man sprinted towards the bedroom as the door slammed shut. In my fear addled state, I managed to rip the needle from the man on the floor. He groaned in pain and blood now gushed from the wound, the needle no longer clogging the hole. I ran for the other man, my only concern was not letting him get to Chloe.

I tackled him with all the force I could create, swiping at him with the bloody needle. He was far stronger than I was and shoved me back, swinging my body. I was flung to the small kitchen floor and slid back until my head connected with a hard corner. Dots of light and blackness coated my vision, my sight not working properly.

He took a step towards me, then must have thought different as he went back to the bedroom door. I tried to call out but my voice wasn't working. My consciousness waved, darkness cascading over my eyes. The last thing I heard was a scream before I was drowned in blackness.