Chapter 15

The next morning came at an alarming rate. Maybe it was the concussion, but I didn't really believe that. Other than a minor headache, made bearable by a couple of Tylenols, I felt I was ready to go. Chloe and I waited by the entrance with our bags. Roy had taken Amanda to his other daughter's grave to say their goodbyes before we headed off.

"Here, you'll need this," Mac said as he passed me a duffel bag.

I took it and peeked inside. Two AR-15 rifles were nestled among some boxes of bullets.

I tried to hand the bag back, "I can't accept these. You need them."

Mac folded his arms, "Nope, there's no way we're letting you go out there with one handgun."

"If all goes according to plan, we'll have some weapons by the end of the day," I said, lowering the bag. It was heavy.

"Well, if all doesn't go according to plan, at least you'll have these."

"Thank you," I nodded.

"You're welcome, miss," Mac grinned.

"You sure you don't need any more first-aid stuff?" Elaine asked.

She had given us one final look over to make sure we were healthy. At least our bodies were. My head wound was healing and I had no dizziness, so Elaine deemed me fit to go. Even my creaky elbow had decided to go into remission. A good sign? I'd like to think so.

"Nope, we have enough." I didn't want to deplete their stash any more than we already had.

They even generously provided us with some canned goods and Mac packed us a lunch for on the road. I found myself shuffling my feet. Their kindness was making it even harder to say goodbye. At least we were getting the chance to say it, instead of being torn apart without so much as a wave. It was on our terms; well, sort of. Roy was being run-out by the masses and I just wanted to continue on.

I heard the roar of an engine starting. We looked out the front door to see Roy waving us out from the rusted truck he planned to use. He said old trucks were built better and easier to fix, so he tuned up one they had found while scavenged the small town a while back. It looked like it was on its last legs to me, but then again, so did my old Honda Civic which had carted me around for six years.

We got hugs from everyone and more than a couple of teary faces despite the way things were going down. Not everyone had turned up, just the ones we had become friends with; of which there were not many left.

"Don't you dare be strangers. If you find yourself nearby, you better come see us," Mac scolded.

I looked at all the expectant faces, "I'll do you one better than that. Once we find Hargrove, we'll come get you."

"I'll hold you to that." Mac crushed me in a giant bear hug. "Now you better get going, you'll need all the day light you can get."

We walked out into the sunny morning, the rays hitting my exposed skin. I was starting to really enjoy that sensation.

"I'm gunna miss 'em," Chloe muttered as we made our way to our parked car.

"Me too, but we'll see them again." I placed my hand on her head.

I wasn't going to miss what happened here, but the people we were leaving behind. That was always the hardest part.

I pulled the car beside the rust bucket Roy was in so that our drivers' windows were facing one another and rolled down the window.

"You ready to go?" I asked, more as a formality.

Roy nodded, "We'll be behind you the whole way."