Chapter 35

By the time our scavenging trip rolled around, I felt ready to go. Some normality was just what I needed and Ethan's date night really helped. That next morning, we were met with a set of grinning friends prying for details. Zoe still hadn't let up, swooning over Ethan's romantic set up. It kind of felt like she was jealous, since Darren would never do anything like that.

Speak of the devil. I looked out the condo window to see the truck pull up. Darren had gotten up early to pack up the massive truck for our scavenging trip before he came to get me. We would have enough weapons, food and ammo to last a couple of days in case we had to stay away for an extended time. All of our friends were crowded into the small living room for another round of farewells.

John was pacing, nervous about letting me go out. He had another group of training to do. Even though he and Grant had their little spat, they were still being adult about it and running the gun training together. Zoe was playing with the silver necklace around her neck and Ethan was practically pulling out his hair as he sat on the edge of the couch. He was lucky the old lady who had owned this condo didn't put plastic on the furniture, he would have slid straight off. Chloe had given me the matching pirate hat she made because she said we were like real pirates plundering treasure. Not that we'd be hitting up banks for gold bars, but still, it was nice of her.

Oddly enough, I was quite relaxed. I had a few days to recover from my break down, of sorts, and was looking forward to putting it behind me. However, the ever-growing concern the mercenaries posed, was in the back of my mind. I couldn't just forget about what happened, I needed to stay alert and keep an eye out for signs of them on the road.

"Well, my rides here." I opened the door and walked to the truck with my backpack over my shoulder. Everyone followed me out.

Darren had gotten out and was currently being hugged and kissed to death by Zoe. She then came over to me and wrapped me in a big hug.

She spoke quietly into my ear, "I know you've been having a rough time. When you come back we're going to have a night where it's just you, me, bad movies and tequila, okay?"

"Sounds like university all over again." I grinned.

The next bear hug came from Ethan and a kiss.

"You be safe, okay? We got date number two next."

I raised a brow at that. "Is it going to top a lovely dinner and movie night?"

"You'll see." Ethan winked, finally releasing me from our hug.

It felt like I was going away to war and everyone was giving me their last goodbye. When we had gone earlier in the week, our farewell hadn't gone like this. Maybe they were worried because of my episode.

John was the last in line, giving me a tight hug.

"When you get back I expect a long talk; you hear?"

"I promise, but it might have to wait until after girl's night."

He placed my head in his hands and kissed my forehead in a very fatherly way.

"Be safe."

I tossed my backpack into the back seat and hefted myself into the passenger's side. The truck had a lift kit on it, making the jump in take more effort than most.

"You ready?" Darren asked.

"As much as I can be."

So I left the gates of Hargrove for a second time in a week. We didn't say much as we started into the city, avoiding infected.