Chapter 15

Reyna had me on a fairly tight leash; I think she was trying to make sure I stopped "running off." When she finally let me off the hook, after hours of collecting souls and attending meetings, the sun was setting in the human world. By the time I thought it was safe to leave without arousing suspicion, it was as dark in the human world as it was in the Underworld.

This stupid crush of mine was snowballing out of control, but I was finding that I didn't really care. I didn't expect Will to still be at the park, but I went anyway, and was happily surprised to find him sitting on the bench.

"Hey," I said quietly, the blanket of night making me lower my voice subconsciously.

"Hi," he replied, equally softly, smiling at me.

"Didn't expect you to still be here," I remarked.

"But you came, anyway," Will said, bumping my shoulder with his. My stomach went all fluttery when his bare arm touched mine.

"Uhm," I said, shakily. "Well, yeah, I just...felt like seeing you. And you stayed, after all," I added quickly, trying to avoid blushing. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I thought. 'I felt like seeing you.' That sounded so awkward.

Will laughed. "Yeah, well, I always feel like seeing you, so I guess it works out."

What did he mean by that? One part of my brain told me he meant it in a friendly way, but another part, the hopeful part, said something else.

"We should, um, start coming later, though," I replied, still flustered from his last comment. "Reyna's keeping a pretty close eye on me, so I probably can't get here before sundown."

"Fine by me," Will said, with a slight yawn. "You might have to wake me up, though. Meetings are tiring."

"Yeah," I agreed, nodding.

"I thought you said that sleep was for the weak."

"Shut up," I replied, leaning hard against his arm and almost knocking him over. "And it is."

Will regained his balance, flailing his arms a bit to sit up straight. "That wasn't very nice."

I laughed. "I'm not a very nice person."

"Yes, you are," he replied, leaning his head on my shoulder and closing his eyes. I tensed up, my heart pounding so hard I was afraid he would hear. Will didn't move, though, so I relaxed. My face was still bright red, however. I was thankful for the dark, and Will's closed eyes.

"Not really," I replied.

"You're nice-ish to me."

"Yeah, well I actually like you." A lot.

Will made a noise of acknowledgment against my shoulder, and a comfortable silence grew between us.

A few minutes later, I turned to him. "Will?" I asked.

He didn't reply, so I poked him gently on the cheek. I sighed when he didn't respond. Of course Will would fall asleep.

I sat back against the bench and listened to his even breathing and felt his exhalations against my neck. It felt the tiniest bit creepy, being up while he was asleep, but mostly comforting and natural. I felt my eyelids begin to get heavy, so, without thinking, I put my head against Will's.

This is nice, I thought. I wish this could happen every night. I wish I could be with Will all day, every day.

My breathing had alinged itself with Will's, we inhaled together and exhaled together, and I felt asleep to the peaceful rhythm of togetherness.

______________________________
It's been waaay too long since I updated, so I'm really sorry about that. I had camp and stuff, so I haven't found time until now (almost at midnight, how typical of me). Anyway, tomorrow (the 21, idk when you're reading this) is my last day of camp, so updates will be more frequent after that. Again, sorry for the wait, and I hope you liked it.

Oh yeah, and the art was sent to me by @alicereadsbooks13. Just wanted to thank her for that.