Chapter 27

"What?" I said, standing up.

I made panicked eye contact with Will. His expression mirrored my own.

"Of course, we'll give you some time to prepare," Hades continued, as if I hadn't spoken. "And someone will set things up so you'll be able to live comfortably as a mortal."

"Wait...but..." I said. "Can't you...?"

Hades shrugged. "It's your fault for overreacting."

My stomach flipped over. I would never see Will again. If I were human...I'd rather be imprisoned; at least then we could have contact.

Reyna, luckily, came to my rescue. "We can't leave Nico there alone, though. What if he, you know, gets angry again and kills a human before their time?"

"Well, we can't have a demon constantly stay in the human world to monitor him," Hades said, looking annoyed; he probably had thought the issue was over once he had decided the punishment and he was free from having to put in any more effort.

"And, I want to know what's happening, too," Apollo cut in. "You can't just have demons monitoring him. This does involve an angel, as I've reminded you for the second time today. You're not the only person here, Hades."

"Shut up, please. Although..." Hades said, looking thoughtful. "You have a point."

Hades pointed a finger at Will. "You did have contact with a demon during a time of war, which could be considered treason. So, Apollo, couldn't it be argued that as punishment he should be turned human, too, and be sent to watch over Nico?"

"Sure, as long as it means I can leave this stupid place soon," Apollo said, shrugging lazily.

Jason audibly sighed. Reyna shook her head. "His lack of concern is astonishing." I nodded, feeling even more sick than before. Will was going to lose his immortality because of me.

"Wonderful," Hades said, leaning back in his chair. "So, the two of you will be made human, and you, Winston-"

"It's Will," Will corrected.

"-Will, whatever, you'll check in with Reyna-"

"And Jason!" Apollo interrupted. "I'm here, too."

Hades looked liked he wanted to strangle every angel in the room. "Fine, you'll check in with Reyna and Jason every month. Until one of you dies."

I winced at the reminder of our impending mortality. I bet Will hates me now, I thought. Now, he's going to die one day. And it's all because I couldn't control my anger.

"Any objections?" Hades looked around the room. I waited for Will to speak up, protest somehow, but nobody said anything. "None? Great."

Apollo stood up. "The two of them should wait here while we make preparations."

"Stop making all of the decisions," Hades snapped, glaring at Apollo.

"What do you suggest we do?" Apollo put his hands on his hips and raised his eyebrows.

"...Just do what he said," Hades growled, standing up and storming across the room to the door, a trail of high-ranking demons behind him. Apollo and his group of angels left soon after.

Hades and Apollo had both left guards, so they were too busy glaring at each other to notice us, and too far away to hear us. I moved over next to Will.

"I'm so, so sorry," I said, looking down at my feet. "Why didn't you try to convince them to not turn you human?"

"Why would I?" Will replied. "I don't care if I die. As long as we can be together, I'll be happy."

"Really?" I looked up at him, feeling my cheeks go red.

"Promise," he said, grinning. "You know, if the guards weren't over there, I'd kiss you. You look really cute when you blush."

"You're the worst person in the world," I said.

"What about Hades and Apollo?"

I laughed quietly. "Okay, never mind, I take it back."

The sun hit his hair, turning it gold. I brushed my hand against his, feeling my heart jump when our skin touched. "I love you."

He smiled, eyes sparkling. "I love you, too."

______________________________________________

look at that, we're almost done with the story; only a few chapters left. sorry (kind of) for leaving you on a cliffhanger last chapter. the next few chapters are (probably?) going to be hella cute so i guess we're even now. sorry for the awkwardness and the horrific amount of plot holes in this chapter (and the story in general smh).

i might update again before monday (11/30) because i'm currently on thanksgiving break, but i also have a really long biology project due, so it depends on how soon i can finish that. regardless, next update should be pretty soon.

also, your comments are the best thing in the world; thank you so much for that, they never fail to make me smile, even on mondays. i really don't express my gratitude enough, so thank you x 666 (my favorite number).

xo - romanticxchemicals