Chapter 1

Brooklyn Hathaway clutched her handbag under her arm as she rolled her suitcase out the doors of Chicago's O'Hare Airport baggage terminal. As she made her way towards the yellow taxis anxiously awaiting passengers, she took a few deep breaths before hopping into the first taxi in her path.

"You can do this," she said to herself as she gave the driver the address to the hotel she would be residing in for the next five days. When Brooklyn had agreed to be the maid of honor for her best friend's wedding, she had inwardly cringed at the thought. Although she loved her best friend Kaydence Walters and she adored her friends' fiancé, Justin Phillips, she absolutely despised Justin's best friend, her sworn nemesis, Wyatt Lexington.

Two years ago, Brooklyn had left the Windy City and vowed to never return as long as Wyatt was still living there. The two had met when she was twenty-six and hired as the newest marketing manager for Plush Media. Wyatt, who was then twenty-eight, had been with the company three months prior. One month into her employment, the Vice President of Marketing asked both Brooklyn and Wyatt to create a campaign for one of Plush Media's newest retail clients. The stakes were high. The person who created the better campaign would be seriously considered for the recently vacated Marketing Director position. 

"We're here, ma'am. I'll get your suitcase out of the trunk."

Jarred from her thoughts, Brooklyn stepped out of the taxi in her strappy wedge sandals, skinny jeans and black fitted top. She pulled her arms behind her in an upper body stretch before glancing at her surroundings. The luxury boutique hotel was gorgeous and located in the vibrant River North area. After she paid and thanked the driver, she let her mind drift back to Wyatt as she began walking towards the hotel's entrance.

Wyatt had barely said more than a few sentences to Brooklyn during her first month of employment, so she was convinced that he didn't like her until he asked her to dance at the Christmas party. That dance had been the start of an office tryst unlike anything she'd ever imagined. Within two weeks, their relationship was official. They couldn't keep their hands off each other. And after introducing Kaydence to Justin, the four had become instantly inseparable.

"Too bad it was all a game for Wyatt," Brooklyn huffed aloud already wishing she were back in San Francisco where she'd comfortably made her home for the past two years.

Her long brown hair caught in the warm May wind and danced around her smooth honey-toned shoulders. She slowed her pace to admire the sign on the front glass window of the hotel welcoming the Walters and Phillips family and friends. As she walked into the hotel lobby, she quickly scanned the bar to make sure she didn't notice any familiar faces in the cluster of people gathered there.

"Hello, miss! Are you checking in?" the enthusiastic male desk attendant asked.

"Yes, I'm with the Walters and Phillips wedding party," Brooklyn said, handing the attendant her identification and credit card. Within minutes, check-in was complete.

"You're all set, miss. Would you like assistance with your luggage?"

"No, I'm fine," Brooklyn responded as she gathered her belongings and made a beeline straight to the elevator around the corner from the front desk. Once she cleared the corner, she leaned back against the opposite wall, placed her belongings down and sighed in relief.

"Almost home free," she voiced, lightly closing her eyes. Who knew checking into a hotel could be so nerve-racking. Guaranteed, she was the one trying to avoid an awkward greeting with Wyatt, but that wasn't the point. When she heard the elevator ding upon arrival, she stalled her thoughts and bent down to gather her bags again.

"Brooklyn Hathaway," she heard the familiar voice say as they exited the elevator. Brooklyn's hand stopped its original pursuit and momentarily dithered in midair. She didn't have to look up to know the recipient of the deep voice. And if his voice wasn't an indicator that she was very well acquainted with the person, his intoxicatingly erotic scent served as a dead giveaway. There was only one man who had a smell so uniquely his. One man who made love to her body so thoroughly that no matter how many showers she took she still sensed his aroma every time her eyes drifted closed.

She didn't want to look up at the man's face, but she knew she would have to eventually. Slowly, she lifted her head, briefly taking in the lips that had once branded her body by marking certain parts his and his only. When her eyes finally made their way up his muscular six-foot frame and reached his piercing dark eyes, she couldn't force herself to look away.

The words "Hello, Wyatt," finally escaped her mouth barely above a whisper.

"Hello," he replied, his intense stare still unwavering. His almost black eyes had always been her undoing. Focus, Hathaway. Brooklyn took a glance at his dark jeans and white polo to distract from her focus on his eyes. His style of clothing was more mature than she remembered, but his smooth copper complexion was still as sexy as ever.

She needed to say something to distract herself from his empowering presence and quick.

"So, Wyatt. How have you been?" she managed to say more confidently. As if I really care.

"I've been good" Wyatt replied. "I did want to talk to you about some...." His voice trailed off as Kaydence approached pulling Brooklyn into a tight embrace.

"Brooklyn, you're here!" Kaydence exclaimed.

"Great, you're both together! Glad you've already found each other," Kaydence continued.

I'm not, Brooklyn thought as she turned up an eyebrow. Only then did she notice the four women with Kaydence.

"Brooklyn, Wyatt. I'd like for you both to meet Imani, Cydney, Lexus and Mya. They're the founders of Elite Events Incorporated here in Chicago."

Brooklyn and Wyatt both exchanged handshakes with the women.

"Did you all plan the wedding?" Brooklyn asked.

"Not exactly," exclaimed the woman who'd been introduced as Imani. "Justin's parents are renewing their vows in two months and Cydney and I are co-planning their event."

"I'm the lead event planner for the wedding," Mya stated. "And Lexus is the planner that you and Wyatt will be working with for the events you're hosting."

Brooklyn scrunched her face in confusion. "I don't understand." She then turned to look at Kaydence. "What events are Wyatt and I hosting?"

But Kaydence pretended not to hear her, avoiding eye contact at all costs. "Kaydence, what events?" Brooklyn asked again before turning her attention toward Wyatt who was looking at everyone but her.

"You're both intricate parts of the wedding," Lexus intervened. "So Mya and I, along with Kaydence and Justin, have created an agenda of wedding events for the guests who are staying at the hotel. As maid of honor and best man, you and Wyatt will host the events. Did you receive the schedule when you checked in?"

Brooklyn ruffled through some papers and spotted the schedule. Oh. My. Goodness. There was something scheduled each day up until the wedding! 

"Don't forget that you promised to help me this week," Kaydence said apparently finding her voice again.

"Don't worry," Lexus said in an attempt to offer comfort to Brooklyn. "Wedding festivities always seem overwhelming, but hosting will be a breeze."

Wedding festivities? Yeah sure, that's what I was worried about. 

Brooklyn thanked the event planner and forced herself to smile at the group. Her plan to avoid Wyatt Lexington at all costs was already failing. Now, she had to face the fact that the man she'd spent two years avoiding was now her trusty hosting partner. Just Great. 

Brooklyn chanced a glance in his direction only to get caught in Wyatt's penetrating stare. You hate him. Just remember... You. Hate. Him. 

Wyatt wasn't going to make this easy. She could read it in his eyes. Oh boy... she thought as her breath caught.