Chapter 5

"There's only two days before the wedding. You can do this," Brooklyn said to herself in the bathroom mirror of Macy's on State Street in Chicago. Kaydence had given her a list of errands to take care of before the group headed to the Chicago Architectural River Tour later in the evening. Brooklyn hadn't planned to walk to Macy's, but when the bus had stopped right across the street from the store, she couldn't help but indulge in a little retail therapy to clear her mind.

After the softball game yesterday, she'd had to suffer through dinner with Wyatt later that night. And of course, Kaydence and Justin had seated them next to one another. The intense staring and whispered one-liners had thrown her off balance, but luckily, Kaydence's cousin had pulled her into a conversation and given her a welcomed distraction.

Smoothing out her dress and taking one more glance at her appearance, she grabbed her bags and left Macy's so that she could finish fulfilling the errands on Kaydence's list. She was just pulling out the list when her phone rang.

"Hi, Lexus," Brooklyn answered after glancing at the caller ID.

"Hello, Brooklyn," Lexus replied. "Kaydence told me you were running a few errands for her and I was hoping you could meet me at the Elite Events Incorporated main office to pick up a couple things for the wedding. I have another engagement, but I will have a car bring you back to the hotel."

"Sure, I can do that. Where is the office located?"

Brooklyn saved the address in her phone and was glad the Elite Events office was within walking distance. Once there, she signed the visitor log and took the elevator to the office. As she rounded the corner and reached a sign that read Elite Events Incorporated, she stopped dead in her tracks.

Wyatt! What is he doing here? It would be just her luck that he would ride back to the hotel with her, as well.

"Brooklyn, you made it," Lexus said as she entered the glass doors of the lobby and gave her a quick hug. "I didn't know Justin called Wyatt to drop by as well so I figured you both could ride back to the hotel together in the car I reserved. Or, since Wyatt is running errands for Justin, maybe you can both finish up your errands together."

Brooklyn winkled her nose. "Must be my lucky day," she said in a pleasant voice although she knew Wyatt would pick up on her sarcasm. Wyatt's penetrating eyes danced with laughter at her comment. 

"Oh come on, Hathaway," he said as he gripped her around the waist. She immediately tried to free herself from release his grip, but her many bags got in the way. "We've been meaning to spend more time together and now's our chance." With that, he pulled her in for an explosive kiss ignoring the shocked look on Lexus's face and the office assistant.

When she felt his warm tongue slip in her mouth, she almost moaned but caught herself and stepped back from his hold when she felt his hands give way. Gazing into his eyes, she tried to formulate a response, but couldn't.

"Okay," Lexus said clapping her hands once together. "I wasn't aware that you two were dating, but that's great. Then I know you both are okay with the arrangements. I'll see you tomorrow."

When Lexus left the lobby, Brooklyn still stood frozen in the same position Wyatt had left her in after he had kissed her.

"Come on let's go," Wyatt said taking her hand and leading her out of the Elite Events office after saying goodbye to the assistant. Wyatt walked ahead of her and spoke to the driver as soon as they stepped outside. Once they were inside the confines of the car that was taking them to the hotel, she was able to find her voice again.

"Why did you kiss me?" Brooklyn shrieked ignoring the questionable look from the driver. Wyatt looked from the car window to Brooklyn before speaking.

"Because..." Wyatt said as his voice trailed off.

"Because what?" Brooklyn asked preparing herself for a smart remark from Wyatt.

"Because lately when I'm around you, I can't help myself. If I had my way, I'd kiss you all the time." 

Brooklyn's breath caught as she studied Wyatt. He means every word. She could tell by the sincere way he was looking at her.

"Do you recognize where we are?" Wyatt asked breaking her thoughts. Brooklyn looked around at her surroundings surprised that she hadn't noticed they were in one of her favorite areas in Chicago. The South Loop was filled with former factories and warehouses that had been turned into businesses and residential buildings, providing a unique collection of unconventional home and business spaces. The neighborhood wasn't as crowded as other Chicago neighborhoods, and if you were lucky, you could find an abandoned warehouse or factory still waiting to be restored. Glancing to her right, she noticed the alley that led to an abandoned mini warehouse that used to be one of her and Wyatt's secret spots.

"It's still abandoned?"

"Sure is. Hey, driver," Wyatt said. "Can you pull over?"

"Certainly," the driver responded pulling over the car to the curb.

"Thanks," Wyatt replied as he slipped the driver a twenty dollar bill. "Would you mind giving us about thirty minutes?"

"Why?" Brooklyn asked although she had a pretty good idea.

"I want to show you something," Wyatt said as he looked from Brooklyn back towards the driver awaiting his response. The driver gave Wyatt a wink before agreeing to return in thirty minutes.

As they walked the short distance to the alley, Brooklyn pondered her current situation. Why am I following him without asking more questions? Even as the thought entered her mind, she already knew the answer. There was a time in her life when she would drop everything for Wyatt and in turn, he always treated her like a gift he wanted to treasure forever. That was why it had been so hard for her to accept his betrayal. But she couldn't continue to be stuck in the past. It was evident that Wyatt had changed a great deal during their two-year separation.

Wyatt used a nearby stick to prop open the solid door. As it creaked open, he glanced around before ushering her to step inside. Once inside, she ventured to the same small room with an old brown sofa where her and Wyatt would often spend time during their lunch breaks.

"Wow," Brooklyn said when she stepped into the room and noticed that the old brown sofa had been replaced by a black chair and futon, both decorated with white and black pillows. There was also a fuzzy black rug on the concrete floor and a white sheer curtain draped the only window in the room.

"You remembered...when did you do this?" Brooklyn asked recognizing the room décor as an exact replica of what she'd told Wyatt she wanted to do to the room before she'd quit Plush Media.

"As soon as I confirmed with Kaydence that you were definitely coming to the wedding. I was hoping for a chance to steal you away to show you."

Brooklyn looked at Wyatt leaning against the door jam. "I can't believe you did this for me," she said.

"I'd do anything for you," he responded as he began taking steps towards her. Although Brooklyn warned her heart not to believe him, his words crumbled her resistance. The minute his lips crashed down on hers, Brooklyn immersed herself in his familiar taste. When he lifted her off the ground, she wrapped her legs around his waist. His hands quickly cupped her butt under her dress before he laid her down on the futon.

"Scoot towards me," he stated, already lifting her dress even more. Before Brooklyn had time to think about what was happening, she felt Wyatt's mouth on her wet center. She gasped, surprised by the onslaught of his tongue.

"Damn, I've been wanting to taste you again for years," he said in between licks. Brooklyn's moans overpowered her words and she lost all sense of reality the minute his fingers slipped through her folds and replaced his mouth. Within seconds, his mouth joined his fingers demanding the release of the orgasm that was on the brink of breaking free. His fingers and mouth moved in unison against her core.

"Wyatt!" she cried as she gripped his head, arched her back and welcomed the sweetest release of pleasure. As her shivers subsided, Wyatt left her center and made his way to look in her face.

"We have to go," he said as he brushed her disheveled hair from her face. "Are you satisfied?"

Brooklyn placed her hand on his cheek. "I'll be even more satisfied if you make love to me tonight."