Chapter 8

The union of Kaydence Walters and Justin Phillips was breathtaking and the women of Elite Events Incorporated did an outstanding job turning Kaydence and Justin's dream wedding into a reality. The reception décor tastefully displayed Kaydence's nature inspired theme with elegant tree branches for the centerpieces complemented by an array of orange, red and yellow floral arrangements. 

Wyatt glanced over at Justin who was sitting to his right at the large reception table. He'd never seen Justin so happy and as he shared a kiss with Kaydence, Wyatt couldn't stop his gaze from landing on Brooklyn who was sitting next to Kaydence. She looked absolutely beautiful. But her beauty was only one of the many qualities he loved about her.

Love... Last night had been amazing and Wyatt knew he couldn't go back to the way things once were. Before the end of the night, he would express his love to Brooklyn and pray that she didn't reject him.

The event planners, Mya and Lexus, walked to their reception table and announced that it was time to give the maid of honor and best man speeches. They had already toasted the happy couple and the delicious dinner had concluded. As rehearsed, Brooklyn stood to give her speech first.

While she was speaking to the audience, he admired her poise and poetic words. He loved the fact that talking about Kaydence and Justin made her emotional and a quick glance at the attentive audience and bridal party proved she wasn't the only one on the verge of tears.

As she concluded her speech, she looked over at Wyatt before she sat down. She has to love me. There was no way he was misreading her body language. Please let her love me. Justin cleared his throat signaling that it was Wyatt's turn to deliver his speech.

Although Wyatt wasn't normally the sentimental type, his heartfelt speech about Justin marrying his one true love didn't leave a dry eye in the entire reception. He even noticed the event planners dabbing tears in the corner of their eyes. When he was almost finished with his speech, he turned from the audience to look at Brooklyn before his eyes left hers and landed on newlyweds.

Justin stood to hug Wyatt at the same time that Kaydence stood to hug Brooklyn. "Don't waste any more time, man. You have to tell her how you feel," Justin said quietly to Wyatt.

He nodded his head in agreement right before the DJ made his announcement signaling that it was time for the bride and groom's first dance before the wedding party hit the dance floor.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, let's give a round of applause to Mr. and Mrs. Phillips."

*

Just breathe... Brooklyn encouraged herself as she took the dance floor with Wyatt. Her heart was racing so fast that she was sure others could tell she was nervous. Wyatt had always had a keen ability of reading her mind and her deepest thoughts. She'd often turned to sarcasm when she wanted to direct his attention elsewhere, but she wasn't sure her tactics would work tonight. Being with him this week and hosting the wedding festivities had been a great feeling and she remembered all the reasons why she fell in love with him in the first place.

"Are you okay?" he asked her with sincerity moving closer to whisper in her ear as she swayed in his arms

"I'm fine," Brooklyn replied hoping he couldn't tell that was far from the truth.

"Do you remember that first dance we shared?" Wyatt asked as he pulled her a little closer to the fit of him and dropped his hand on her lower back.

"How could I forget," she said with a smile. "I'd been shocked when you asked me to dance at the company holiday party. Especially since I thought you didn't like me at all."

"I liked you too much," Wyatt said smiling as well. "Of course I didn't like that you were a better candidate for that promotion, but more importantly, I was caught off guard by my attraction to you. I had never reacted that way to a woman before."

Brooklyn chanced a look into his eyes surprised that she no longer felt any animosity towards Wyatt for stealing her campaign. That was in the past and right now, she wanted to focus on the present.

"I'd never felt that way about anyone either," she finally replied. "You were everything I thought I didn't need, yet everything I actually..." her voice trailed off when she realized she had said too much. Wyatt looked from her eyes to her lips before speaking.

"Brooklyn, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," she said nearly breathless.

He stopped dancing, but kept his hands in place so that she couldn't move. "I was a jerk two years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret hurting you." Wyatt leaned in even closer.

"You're beautiful, intelligent, and thoughtful and I can't let you go back to San Francisco."

"What are you saying?" Brooklyn asked, her heart racing with questions as she studied his facial features.

He placed both hands on either side of her face before he answered. "I'm saying, Brooklyn Hathaway, that I love you more than I've ever loved anyone in this entire world and my life would be incomplete without you in my future."

Brooklyn bit her bottom lip and placed both her hands over his. He loves me, she thought, her heart filling with happiness.

"Well, then I guess it's time that I finally return home," she said, smiling even harder.

"What are you saying?" Wyatt asked as he searched her eyes.

"I'm saying, Wyatt Lexington, that you're determined, downright sexy, and you have a big heart even though you try to hide it. I fell in love with you two years ago and I never stopped loving you."

Wyatt gave her a slight look of confusion. "But two days before our campaign presentations, you told me you could never love a man like me and that I didn't know how to love."

"That was only after I overheard you tell Justin that you were incapable of love," Brooklyn responded.

Wyatt dropped his head to the floor before looking at Brooklyn again. "Had you listened to the entire conversation, you would have heard me tell him that I was incapable of love before I met you..."

Brooklyn's mouth parted in surprise. "I didn't know," she said breathlessly realizing the error she'd made. "I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry, too," Wyatt said. "But let's leave the past behind us."

"And work towards starting a future," Brooklyn said as she pulled him in for a hug. When his arms encircled her body, he lowered his head and gave her passionate kiss filled with all their hopes and promises for the future. The catcalls and cheers from the bridal party who were still dancing caused them to break their kiss. Kaydence walked over and hugged Brooklyn while Justin slapped Wyatt on the back.

"I love you, Brooklyn Hathaway, and I can't imagine my future without you," Wyatt said as he pulled Brooklyn back towards him and leaned down to plant another kiss on her lips.

"And I love you, too, Wyatt Lexington," Brooklyn replied. "My future was always with you," she continued as she placed her head on his shoulder and continued to dance with the one man she couldn't live without.

THE END