Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Nico

I sprang up, my mouth open in a silent scream. Strong arms were wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer. I looked to my right and found Jason sleeping peacefully. He softly snored and muttered incoherently every now and then. I slightly smiled and lightly brushed my fingertips against his cheek. Jason smiled and pulled me closer.

I sighed and got out of bed. Why does he accept me like this? He has a loving girlfriend, a future. I have nothing. Sure, Hazel will have children, but Frank surely won't allow me near them. I'm too much of an outcast. Nobody likes a child of Hades. Sure, what he did in the war was cool, but I'm still treated like an outcast. Too many people fear me for all of the wrong reasons.

While looking at my pile of clothes on the floor, memories of my nightmare crashed into my train of thought.

I screamed as I fell further and further into the pit. I tried to will the shadows to take me in, let me become one of them, but they would not allow it.

"How dare you?" I croaked. "I am one of you! I am the Ghost King!"

Right before I hit the ground, strong arms wrapped around my waist. I stopped inches in front of the ground and stared upwards. Jason smiled down at me and winked. His blue eyes mischievously sparkled.

"Did you seriously think that I would let you fall to your death?" He chuckled and leaned towards me. "I promise to never let you down."

Jason lightly brushed his lips against mine. His lips were soft and warm, but also commanding and serious. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. He smiled against my lips and pulled away. I slightly pouted and tried to pull him closer, but he didn't budge an inch. His form became smoky and he disappeared into nothing.

The shadows that I had trusted started to laugh at me. They taunted me, saying that he doesn't love you. I dropped the last few inches and curled up into a ball.

Some ghosts warily approached me, but one glare sent them all scurrying. A few shook their heads knowingly. Loving a boy was hard; being a boy and loving another boy was harder. The shadows pointed at me, laughing and cackling.

Why would they betray me? I trusted them wholeheartedly.

My breathing became shallow, and I crashed to the floor. Pulling my knees to my chest, I curled up in a ball.

Everyone leaves you.

I heard Jason's bed shift; shortly after, he picked me up. I tried pushing him away, but he only tightened his grip. I pounded on his chest and sobbed. He's only going to leave me. Bianca left. Hazel will leave. Percy has Annabeth. Jason has Piper.

Jason lightly lifted my chin with two fingers. He sighed and slightly shook his head. I glared at him while wiping away my tears.

"I know," I snapped. "I'm a pathetic piece of shit who doesn't deserve your time. I get it. I'll leave."

I tried getting up, but he held me in place. "Why the hell would you think that?" he asked.

"Everyone leaves. Anyhow, you have Piper," I muttered.

Jason rolled his eyes and looked mildly disgusted. "Her? She isn't the one for me."

I looked into Jason's eyes. They showed the truth. He truly didn't like her, but why he didn't like her was a mystery to me. Ever since they met each other, they have been a couple. Sure they had their fights; they always made up, though. He was everything to her. I thought she was everything to him.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, brushing off my boxers in the process. Jason studied me while I silently put on my clothes. I shook my head while thinking of the events that occurred last night. He had only wanted to experiment with me. I was just a toy of his. Piper was just a toy of his. He doesn't feel anything for anybody.

I slipped on my jacket and sighed. "It's best we don't see each other for a while, or think of what happened last night."

I pulled my belt through the loops on my jeans. Jason's jaw had dropped from shock. He looked upset, confused, and something else that I don't know; hurt, more than likely. I shrugged and finished getting dressed.

Looking over my shoulder at him, I softly groaned. He was looking at me with puppy eyes, something that will always get me to do what another wants.

"Can't you stay, please?" Jason begged.

I shook my head and crossed my arms over my chest. "No."

Jason stepped closer and slightly tilted his head to the side. He reached out and trailed his fingers from my forehead, to my cheek, over my jaw, and finally landing on my lips. I softly blushed under his intense gaze. He bit his lip while thinking, a habit he picked up over the years I met him. I leaned into his touch. It was intoxicating. Jason softly smiled at me.

"Do you have to go?" He asked.

I nodded and whispered, "Yes, I do have to go. I have things I need to sort out."

He nodded and withdrew his hand from my lips. I took a step backwards and instantly regretted it. He looked so sad, yet hopeful at the same time. Jason's fingers slightly twitched and I softly smiled.

"You'll return, right?" he whispered hopefully.

I shrugged. To be honest, I don't know if I will. It would take a few years even if I did return. I have a lot to sort through. In between what I want, need, and what's best for him will take a while until I understand all of it.

I lightly treaded my way to Jason until our lips were barely a few centimeters apart. He looked shocked, but I shrugged it off. I needed to be confident for what I'm about to do.

I lightly brushed my lips against Jason's. He instantly responded, wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me closer. My body molded against his, but this isn't what I wanted. It was supposed to be a goodbye kiss, not a I'm going to stay here kiss.

I pulled away from Jason and wiped away a tear from my cheek. He frowned, but let me get my space. I placed a hand on his cheek and softly smiled.

"I promise that I will return, Jason Grace," I swore.

I turned around, the shadow enveloping me. I collapsed in my father's throne room, sitting before me, Hades.

Hades slightly smirked and spread his arms open. "Welcome home, Nico."