Chapter Ten

To Mia's luck, there was an EMT on sight. He set her arm in a sling and gave her some painkillers. As for her head, he told her she would be fine but she should still be checked out by a doctor when this is all over.

She stood next to Owen as he was showing a map to InGen soldiers. "We know that she is in sector five. This is a game we call hide and seek. It's a scent drill, we've done it about a thousand times with these animals. When they get on target, and they will get on target, wait to engage. Velociraptors are pack hunters. They like to herd the animal into a kill zone. That's when we take our shot. Get a clear shot, wait on my command, a give her everything you got. We got one good target, gentlemen, do not shoot my raptors. Please," Owen explained.

The group of men nodded in agreement before separating to get ready for the mission. Mia gave Owen a reassuring smile which comforted him.

"Let's go prep the girls," He said,  before walking towards where the raptors are.

"Easy, Blue. Easy. Attagirl," He said, gently running his hand across the side of her head. "You don't scare me."

Mia looked to Owen as she cautiously reached her hand out, Owen nodding at her that it was okay. She carefully placed her hand on Blue's skin, which made the dinosaur growl and thrash around a bit. Mia snapped her hand back, but Owen grabbed it and placed it back on Blue.

"It's okay, Blue," He said softly.

Mia released her breath as Blue calmed down, running her hand along her skin. She smiled, thinking about how ten year old her would be staring at her like she was insane.

"Owen," a voice called, making the two adults turn their head to where it came from. Zach and Gray were standing on the other side of the fence, holding on to the metal bars.

Owen and Mia walked towards them as Gray spoke up again. "Are they safe?"

"No, they're not," Owen answered, truthfully.

"What are their names?" Zach asked.

"Well, you got Charlie. There's Echo. Here is Delta. And this one's called Blue. She's the beta," Owen explained.

"Who's the alpha?" Gray asked.

Mia smirked as she knew Owen's answer right before he even said it.

"You're looking at him, kid," He replied making Mia snort. "You're so cringey, you know that?" She asked him.

"I beg to differ, but okay," He shrugged. Gray chuckled at the two while Zach smirked.

Claire called the boys, waving for them to come over to her. They shared a look with the two adults before walking off.

"I'm gonna stick with them," Mia turned to Owen. He looked at the kids as they got into the back of an ambulance, before nodding. "That's probably a good idea. You'll be safe," He said, turning to look at her, as well as grabbing her left hand.

She blushed at this and smiled at him. "You know that I care more about your safety than mine, Owen," She told him.

"Feeling's mutual," He replied.

Biting her lip, Mia stared up at him as she felt the urge to stand on her tippy toes and press a kiss to his lips. She refrained, however.

Owen must've felt the same thing, because he leaned down and kissed her forehead before pulling her into a hug. "I'll be back," He promised her.

Nodding, she pulled away. "I'm holding you to that," She said as he began to walk off. Before he was too far, Mia called out to him.

He turned and she gave him another smile. "When you get back, I think we should talk about some things," She gave him a look and then left it at that.