duodecim

"Miss, if you aren't going to move, I'm going to have to call security on you."

I snapped back to reality the moment I was shoved to the side. I was about to make a retort when someone added a rather sarcastic remark, "Hmph, you sure do adore the attention, don't you?"

I bit down on my tongue - afraid that I would hit something, or rather, someone - and frowned.

Where have I heard that voice before?

"I would call you Attention Whore, but then again, I don't know you well enough, and I'd be a hypocrite to say I'm not one either," There was a pause as if he were assessing his next words delicately. "Plus, you look too young for my league."

I raised my brows at that and turned in a flash to see a familiar pair of achromatic irises staring back at me in amusement. And, what a coincidence! We were at the same spot we first met. Oh, how Cinnabon took on a whole new definition, besides edible and delectible!

"Look," I snapped. "I don't know who you are, and who you think you are, but newsflash buddy, if you don't want to be screaming for your mommy in the next ten seconds of your life, then I suggest you leave quietly."

And, he smirked. The. Dude. Smirked.

"Oh," he said, forming a prominent "o" with his mouth as if he were mocking me - which he was. "then I'll have to take you up on that challenge. I'm pretty sure," he paused and pointed to security nearby. "that gentleman right there would be willing enough to whisk you away before you get to say the words: "Daddy!!""

And, he manipulated my words and smacked them back at my face as if they were created out of thin air.

The nerve.

I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked my hip to the side, raising my eyebrow in the same motion. This seemed to have amused him even more because he had this silly grin on his face that practically screamed "Aww, why don't you look adorable?"

I gave him my best smile. It probably looked force, but hey, I didn't want to be arguing with him as much as he wanted to argue with me.

I pointed at Ralph and Emerson who were situated in one of the northern tables of the cafeteria. He followed my gaze and tilted his head to the side in confusion.

"But those guys," I began. "will make sure that I don't get into any trouble."

He blinked once. Twice. Three times. Before he averted his attention back to me and frowned. "Pompous rich girl?"

I gasped, eyes widening to saucers.

What in the-

"Don't worry," he smirked. "I'm pretty sure I know pompous when I see one."

He winked, and that's all it took...

☄☄☄

"Favorite color?"

I looked skyward. "Sky blue."

He turned his head towards me in thought.

It wasn't as if I was staring up at the bare sky; it was just the mall's plain white ceiling. It was bound to raise some questions, but that never happened. It made me uncomfortable. He made me uncomfortable.

"Interesting," was all he said before turning his head back to the front. It sort of put me at ease. At least, his stare shifted elsewhere. "Favorite food?"

"Duck sauce."

He whipped his head back to my direction and gave me a strange look. I could only bend over in laughter when I saw his expression. It was a mixture of intrigue, curiosity, and disgust all at once, and the fact that he could do it was utterly remarkable because I knew I couldn't pull it off without looking like some grotesque replica of a gargoyle in one of the cathedrals in Europe. Maybe, I could be depicted as Hatshepsut. That way, I could serve as the link for the deities and the people, therefore, I could talk over some teas and biscuits with the lovely, old Ra, Horus, and Osiris. It would be an interesting banquet. All we'd need was the Greek gods, and it'd be perfect, but they were nonexistent then, so no Zeus and plotting to kill his father going on.