viginti tres

I flicked the invisible dust bunny on the work table and sighed. The clock ticked menacingly in the corner as if waiting for me to say something. Anything. But, I was too darn bored to utter a word, much less do anything. Maybe, bored wasn't the right word for it. Lazy felt more appropriate.

I sighed and pushed off the desk, checking my phone for any new messages. I already lost track of how many times I keyed in the password on the dratted thing, but to say it was beginning to irk my nerves was an understatement. If I could heave a pound of tar across the building to ease my troubled mind, I would have done so already, but first, I didn't have tar, and second, I had no idea where to get one. Sure, internet was there, but ugh...

My phone dinged at the exact moment, and I nearly leapt off the spot as I scrambled for the inbox, only for my heart to sink when it dawned on me that the alert didn't come from my mail, but from the overflowing mass of cash spouting from the bucket in Make It Rain.

"You're bucket's full! You're bucket's full!" was what my lock screen was actually telling me if I gave a rat's shiny behind. But, quiet frankly, I didn't.

All Long left me was a note saying "Sweet Dreams". It would have benefited the both of us if he decided to add when and where we were going to meet up to finish this project because I sure as hoped I was sent to the initial department I signed up for.

Miyake was popular, but boy, were their management...disappointing. Any other company would have already told me where I'd be working at and put me in the right department, but no, that apparently didn't happen. It was like high school all over again with extracurricular activities I stayed loyal to since Freshman year. They tell you to go there on Monday, only to show up in an empty room because they decided that something more important came up. And, don't get me started with the pep rallies. I always skipped them to avoid getting stampeded over and the like.

People.

Fortunately, there weren't any cheerleaders that tried to destroy your life as portrayed in the movies, otherwise, I would have slit my throat open and left myself open for the vultures. I'm sure they wouldn't have minded that. I'm always open for nature's call!

I sighed and tapped my fingers on the work desk in irritation. I took a glance at Te Amo and scowled. For the mother of god! If he didn't leave a message, then so be it! I'll just finish this by myself. I was confident enough I could do it without the likes of him, but one look at a page, and I was already having a spasm.

I was trained to edit real novels! Trained to edit the finest literary liquor in Japan for god's sakes!

I wrapped my fingers around the roots of my hair and pulled, crying out in frustration at this absurdity.

What was I supposed to do? I've never felt this helpless bef- Yeah, right. Been there. Done that.

I pushed back my chair, enough so that I could stretch my legs on top of the table, and pulled out my phone to listen to some music. If I wasn't going to do anything today, then might as well waste away with good old movie trailer music.

And, research.

Closing off the screen as heaven played in my ears, I opened up Safari and searched up the Bat's whereabouts. There was nothing new, except a few weeks ago where he was opening up a new branch in Britain. Where exactly? That wasn't disclosed information.

I scrolled down and the same news about his up-and-coming London chain met my gaze. I hissed and threw my phone on the desk, rubbing at my forehead to smooth at the wrinkles that were surfacing.

The lot of it!

I was getting out of here whether they liked it or not. Thing 1 and Thing 2 were busy doing whatever they had to do for the Bat, and I doubted they would realize I would be leaving the apartment, considering they left only a few minute's ago. A fool's...no...two fools' deduction I suppose.