Chapter Ten

Just like Atreus said, we reached the base in two days. Those two days spent of traveling were silent. Atreus didn't talk to me and dutifully led me around, only speaking if it concerned Meilin. It was as if he didn't care for idle chit chat other than if I had a question about Meilin, where Meilin was located, and when I would see him. It was surprising to see his loyalty ran so deep. When we were near enough to see the military base, with its towering pillars and impending gateway, I wanted to collapse right on the spot from exhaustion, but I knew we had to keep moving.

"We're here," Atreus said as we drew near. Instantly, a dozen archers notched and aimed their arrows at us as we approached the gateway.

"It's me, Atreus!" he shouted.

For a moment, no one moved and I was scared that they wouldn't know who he was, but after a moment, the door to the gateway cracked open and Commander Bohai stepped out. His hair was tousled and he had a tired expression on his face, his shoulders tense and his hand resting on the hilt of his blade. When he saw Atreus, a ghost of a smile spread across his face, but when he saw me, his eyes widened and he sighed in relief.

"Atreus! I've never been so excited to see you," Bohai said as he jogged over to us. Atreus kicked the horse forward to a trot, meeting up with the commander.

"I hate to say this, but my mission wasn't successful and I had to—"

"That doesn't matter at all," Bohai said with a wave as he looked me up and down. His critical brown eyes were full of concern and relief. "You have no idea how matters are faring here."

Atreus stiffened in his seat, his shoulders square. "What happened? Is Master Drakkon alright?"

Bohai shook his head. "The rage of the Dragon spreads wide and fierce like a fire," he said with a loud sigh. "He went berserk when he found out Lady Daiyu was kidnapped. His rage knows no bounds and it's been a hassle trying to deal with him. If he had his way, he would've burned down every village here in the north to find her. It took me and Fang to calm him down and not jump to reckless behaviors."

Hearing those words brought a tremor to my heart, my grip on Meilin's dagger tightening and confusion blooming within my chest. Did Meilin honestly care that much that I had been kidnapped? Was he worried about me, or was he more concerned with appearances and how that would look if his bride was taken away? Did Meilin care for me?

"Commander Bohai," I said softly, garnering his and Atreus's attention. "why is the emperor so angry that I was taken? We hardly know each other and have only spoken a handful of times."

Atreus was silent while Bohai watched me for a moment. After what felt like forever, he gave me a small smile. "Meilin cares for those under his protection. Those he decides to care for are his utmost priority and he hates when one of his own is hurt in any sort of way. He told you that day he chose you, didn't he, about how you are his? That means that he has taken you and placed you with the people he will protect."

My heart warmed at his words.

"We better get you to Meilin," Bohai continued.

"She can't walk," Atreus said as he eased himself off the horse and held his arms out towards me. "Her feet are cut up so I'll carry her."

In a few moments, I was helped off the horse and placed in Atreus's arms as he followed Bohai into the base. Soldiers were everywhere, littering the halls and speaking loudly. They paused when they saw the commander walk by and openly stared at me, most likely wondering who I was and why a woman was in the base. It was embarrassing to be held like that and led around the halls and stairs, but after everything I had gone through for the past week, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been.