Chapter Nineteen

"The fight was amazing," Yat-sen told me animatedly as we walked down the corridor. It was after dinner time and I had bumped into him when I was venturing the halls.

As he spoke, he waved his hands around and talked about Atreus's and Nikator's movements during their battle, his eyes bright and his tone chipper. I had come to realize that although Yat-sen hadn't been here at the base that long—he had come with Meilin—he was terribly lonely. Though he would sometimes sit and talk with Fang, and maybe even Bohai, there wasn't much for him to do but spar with other soldiers. Meilin didn't allow him to participate in any battles, so he was left to do nothing. Although I knew Meilin was doing so to ensure Yat-sen was safe while also giving him experience, I understood Yat-sen's boredom and loneliness.

Yat-sen didn't have friends among the soldiers and so he was left alone, save for the moments with Fang, Bohai, Meilin, and a few other commanders. Those moments with the other men were, however, fleeting, since they were all busy participating in the war.

"Aunt Daiyu?"

I blinked and turned to the youth, smiling apologetically at him. "I'm sorry, what was that?"

"I was just saying that we've reached General Fang's room," he said as he pointed at the door. I had asked him to lead me to Fang's room since I wanted to know how he was doing, so I could relay everything back to Jia, who would no doubt be worried about him.

"Thank you for escorting me, Yat-sen," I said kindly as I gently rested a hand on his shoulder. "You're a great help to me and it's always lovely talking to you."

The smile he gave me broke my heart and made me want to embrace him. "Anything for you, Aunt Daiyu," he said with a short bow that was unnecessary but done out of respect.

He left me and I knocked on the door, waiting for General Fang's reply. When he gruffly said to enter the room, I slowly opened the door before stepping inside.

"Pardon my intrusion," I murmured as I entered.

Fang was sitting on the bed of the room, his arm in a sling and his skin color pallid. He looked worn out and pained, but relatively well. From what Yat-sen had been telling me, his condition was steadily improving.

"General Fang," I said with a curt nod. "I wanted to see how you were doing."

"Lady Daiyu," he said. "Thank you for coming to visit me."

"It's no problem," I said with a small smile. "Jia is a dear friend of mine and since I'll be leaving to the palace soon, I know she'll want to know how you're doing."

One thing I took notice of him was that his long hair was gone and instead was cut messily, still long enough to cover his forehead, but much shorter than before. It suited him and made him look younger.

His usual stoic and sullen expression cracked at the mention of his wife, his eyes, for a split second, showing longing and sadness, before his impassive and intimidating expression overtook his features. "Jia is worrying over you and me," he said softly as he leaned his head against the bedpost. "She's been writing letters nonstop."

"She was very worried when she heard that you had been injured."

"I'm almost healed by now. It was much worse at the time, but it's been a few weeks."

"That's good to hear. I'm sure Kang and Jia can't wait until you're fully healed and back home." He was silent for the longest time and right when I was about to turn around and leave, he spoke. "Lady Daiyu, it may not be in my place to say this, but has Meilin been sleeping?"