Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

I closed my eyes in bliss. Bach was playing in the background. The lights were dimmed and fragrant-vanilla-candles were lit, giving the bathroom a soft glow. I slowly dunked my head under the warm water. I resurfaced seconds later, enjoying my bubble bath.

After my run, Falkon dismissed me with a growled, "be here tomorrow at 15:00 hours and don't make me come find you, Samantha." Derek came to collect me and hustled me into Logan's office were I met Carla, my new "body guard."

Carla gave me a brief tour around the compound. We visited the brand new school, which was just finished being built this summer. The school was every shifters' pride and joy. Next came the recreational arena. A game of basketball was being held when we visited. From a quick glance, it seemed to be cats verse dogs with the cat shifters up by three points. When Carla finished explaining the rules and regulations for the use of the recreational arena, she pointed out the hospital and communication shed. At the com. Shed, I was able to discreetly pass-off a note to Fido. On a crumbled little note inside Fido's pencil holder, were the words scrawled in Chaos' handwriting:

Sammie needs her gadgets. In her house there is a tiny black box. Drop it off on the east side wall. There should be a hole underneath the large yew tree. You have 72 hours and counting.

I also cataloged possible moles among the shifters. As I told Logan, I managed to find intelligence on the traitor. I was informed by the Scotland lab that the traitor was a male jaguar in the communication division. I had three good suspects.

The first suspect was Jerome Duput. Jerome was the stereotypical bully of the school yard. He had a rude comment at the ready, he wasn't afraid to use his superior strength to benefit himself. His walnut brown hair was a cut in a common style, nothing flashy to stand out in a crowd. Besides his bulling ways, Jerome was an average shifter. However, most people don't know that Jerome had a little sister named Olivia. Olivia was killed in one of my rescues three years back. Ever since Jerome had learned of his baby sister's death, he has sworn vengeance on Chaos. I wouldn't be shocked if Peter used Jerome's hatred toward me to turn him. Peter was scum and wasn't above manipulating anyone.

The second suspect was Ryan Fischer. He usually blended into the background and no one ever gave him a second thought. When I asked Carla who the little blonde hiding in the corner was, she shrugged her shoulder and said she didn't know. The anger that flared in Ryan's eyes was an illogical reaction. Anyway, I never did like the people who hid in the shadows.

The third suspect was Cole O'Connor. He stood out in the crowd. He had dashing good looks with his shaggy ash blonde hair and is cloudy brown eyes. He smiled the entire time I was in the com shed. He had a complement for everyone and joked around constantly. Everyone in the com shed seemed to go to him if there was a problem or they had a question. The girls flirted with him outrageously. His 'big-in-your-face' personality and his charm could easily be used to deflect any suspicion.

So I had my three most likely traitors name and faces ingrained in my mind. Tomorrow I would call the CEO of LGA, Charles Witterham and ask him to pull up every nook and cranny I had on the three. Then I would inform my street contacts to keep their eyes peeled and inform me if anything unusual happened. Operation "snag-the-bad-guy-and-save-shifters'-den" has officially begun. I smiled softly, closed my eyes and began to relax.

***

"Stop!" barked Falkon. I paused mid-swing. I was huffing harshly, but stayed in ready position, on the balls of my feet. My eyes clung onto my opponent, searching for any signs of retaliation. Snarling, Falkon shoved me behind him. He fisted the front of my opponent's shirt. "What the hell was that? You're fighting like a pansy."