Chapter Twenty

Chapter 20 

Warehouse district 

Derek

"Cameras are all in place." Crackled Bandit's voice over the ear mic. I nodded to Kade. "Turn them on." Kade's fingers flew over the keyboard. I turned my back on Kade to face Gabberilla.

Falkon was helping her attach a camera to her shirt.

"Are you good?" I barked at Falkon. We were running behind schedule. I hated being late for anything. My tiger paced with aggression inside me. I had a bad feeling about tonight, but Logan wanted to bring this bastard in to be interrogated. Hell, I wanted to bring this bastard in.

Gabberilla nodded, "Yeah."

"I want you in and out. No lingering. Get him outside. Bandit will be ready for you two." I took a deep breath. After getting the thumbs up from Kade, I opened the back door of the van. Gabberilla hopped out. She stood still, glancing over her outfit for a final check. Her 5'11 frame was crammed into black leather pants. Her blue-black hair flowed over her shoulders and down her back. Her height was increased with gold kitten heels.

"I won't be long now." Gabberilla purred. She then proceeded to walk to the warehouse. How she managed to walk in the shoes without wobbling or breaking an ankle was unbelievable. I slammed the doors shut and took a seat next to Kade. Falkon was standing right behind us.

We were able to easily track Gabberilla through the crowd due to her height. She stopped at a table with a group of guys and had a conversation heavily filled with suggestions and innuendos. When the guys began to become increasingly forward, Gabberilla grabbed a drink on the table and used the excuse she had to 'tinkle.'

"What's our status on Joe Mika?" I growled into the microphone. The hand of unease squeezed tighter on my stomach. I did not like this. Not at all.

Bandit's voice filled the mic loudly. Kade ripped his off in exaggeration. "He's still at the bar. I'll inform you if he moves."

"Jesus, Bandit," Falkon muttered, rubbing his ear. "The mic is inserted right next to the ear drum. Use a quieter voice we can here you."

"Sorry, boss. But, man, I can barely hear myself think over this music."

"If you can even call it music," grumbled Kade. He readjusted a camera, scanning the bar. "Gotcha! There sitting on the edge of the bar. That my dear friends is Joe Mika." Falkon's cell phone rang out after Kade's declaration.

He glanced at the caller id. "It's Logan." He informed us before answering. "Falkon, here." His smooth face began to darken in anger. "She did what?" He closed his eyes and clenched his jaw. "No. Yes, I understand. Oh, really? Well that is interesting. Of course. Keep me updated." Falkon's eyes scanned the cameras. "No we haven't made contact with the target. She's just about to. Yes. Just wait one moment."

I was about to ask Falkon what was happening at the Den, when Gabberilla made her move to zero in on Joe. She pretended to drunkenly fall into Joe's lap. Kade was adjusting another camera zooming in on someone in the crowd. He turned to look at me questioningly, "Is that...?"

I looked to where he was pointing, feeling the hand squeeze tighter now, but I didn't stop anything or anyone. Falkon leaned over Kade's seat. "Yes it is." He replied in a darkening tone.

Gabberilla's voice floated over the mic. "I'm so sorry. I didn't hurt, did I?" she giggedly, as if she was intoxicated.

Falkon lifted the phone to his ear. "Logan? Yeah, we found her." I didn't understand Falkon's comment, but Joe's answer sidetracked me. "I was wondering how long it would take for you guys to make a grab for me."

Gabberilla stilled. "Fuck. Gab, stall. I am coming in. Bandit move in." I was almost out of my seat when I saw another figure move into the frame. I finally figured out what Falkon's 'we found her' comment meant. Samantha just slid under Joe's arm.

Joe's voice filled the microphone again. "...Sorry Gabb, but I've got to go. Tell Derek that we'll reschedule our meeting to a more...convenient time." With that Joe turned with Samantha and disappeared into the crowd.

Falkon snarled, "Gabberilla, follow them. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I am going to beat that girls ass, when I get my hands on her."

*** 

I shimmied my way into the broken door. Music was blaring causing the floor to vibrate. Walking down the hall to the main room in the abandon warehouse required some acrobatic skills. Dodging bodies on the ground, squeezing passed couples in high heels could be very dangerous. My heel caught on someone's jacket, causing me to pitch forward. Catching myself at the last seconded, I straightened out.

"Watch it, bitch." growled the person on the ground.

Ignoring him, I yanked down my non-existent black dress. I continued forward, scanning the crowd for Mika. However, my eye caught on a figure in the shadows. I gradually made my way over to him. He nodded to me as I leaned against the wall next to him.

"Thanks for dropping off the box, Berto."

"That dog is useless. You do know that right?" Berto replied in his voice damaged by smoke. A smile appeared on my face.

"Everyone has their usefulness. You just have to wait for the moment to arise. It's been a long time, Berto."

"Right back at you, Chaos."

I wasn't surprised Berto tracked me down to the club. He was Bones' closest friend from the streets. He was also the only person who knew me before I became Chaos. Berto had pulled my ass out of so many situations, I couldn't count them. I owed him my life. When I went rogue after Bones' death, he tracked me down. After a mission gone bad which Berto saved my skinny ass, he patched me up. As soon as I was away from death's grip, Berto began to yell at me. Informing me that if Bones was still alive, he would have personally seen to the tanning my backside. That he would be disgusted with my lack of care about my health and life. Berto saved my life and I destroyed Berto's life.

His disfigurement was my fault. The scarred tissue traveled down his entire body and to a small section of his of his thigh. I've offered him money to go see a plastic surgeon in seeing if he could get any of the scar tissue reduced but he refused my offer.

I apologize once to him, Berto just brushed it off. "No one could have known Samson would turn on us." That was when I broke down, telling him Bones informed me of his feelings. But I refused to listen to him. It was all my fault that he was severally burned and the rest of our crew died. Berto gave me a funny look when I explained everything. I remembered I whispered to him, "Do you hate me? Because I hate me."

Berto hugged me hard to him. "No, Ellie, I don't hate you. I have a confession to make too. Bones told me he had a feeling about Samson too." I looked into Berto's eyes and saw tears silently tracking his face. He gave an ill-hearted laugh. "Look at us. We are a mess and we call ourselves ass-kickers? Bones would just laugh at us now."

I smiled in agreement. "Yeah. I just feel so lost. I don't think I have control anymore. I look at life and all what I see is..." I trailed away not know where I was headed with my confession. But apparently Berto did. "Chaos."

I closed my eyes and burrowed deep into his chest. "Yes. All I see and feel is Chaos."

He was quiet a moment and then jumped up. He pulled me up with him, a gleam in his eyes. "Then let's try and make something from it." That afternoon, we both forged a stronger friendship. We also created Chaos. He helped me create Chaos and all of her aliases. I don't understand why Berto has stayed in my life all these years, but I do know I owe him more than I could ever afford. Since that afternoon, we have been creating havoc ever where we've been.

So, what did you think? Please comment and tell me your opinions!