Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter 25 

Suburbs of Colorado

I sat on top of the monkey bars, my legs dangling. A soft breeze swirled around me, caressing my face with unseen fingers. I watched the gas station across the street waiting for Jill to arrive. A beat up mustang drove into the station and parked. The passenger door opened and a man stepped out. His head scanned the station. He turned around and leaned against his car, crossing his arms, and giving me a full view of his face. Bryce?

Well, I guess that explained the deep voice in the background when I was on the phone. I wonder how mated life is treating him. I pulled my feet up and slipped through a space between two bars. I picked up my laundry bag and hefted it up and over my shoulder. With my free hand, I tucked my hair under my hat and pulled the hood from my hoodie over my head, concealing my face in shadows. I then jammed my hand in my jean's pocket. With my head bent, I strolled over to Bryce.

By the time I crossed the street, Bryce was aware of my presence. He didn't say a word when I arrived at his side, just grabbed the bag and shoved it into the backseat. He opened his door and slung himself into the car. I walked around the back of the car and sat in the passenger seat. Bryce turned the keys and the mustang hummed to life. He kept silent, allowing me to think about my next steps.

Jill and Alec were sitting in Bryce's small kitchen when we arrived. I let Bryce walk in first and I hung back. The house was a little brick twin house. Bryce and Jill's next door neighbor was Alec. The kitchen smelled of fresh paint. Its walls were coated in a bright and sunny yellow with wooden boards. The kitchen window looked over the street. There was a comfortable looking bench with white padding surrounding a small table. Yellow daisies were artfully displayed from the center.

Jill gracefully stood up and went to greet her mate. I felt a tendril of green jealousy snake through my body. I would never be able to greet Bones like that. Never be able to start a life and a family with him. I would never be able to tell him my secrets, hopes and wishes, my fears.

A small voice inside my head whispered, but you can. H's still alive. And Joe said Peter was lookingfor you. Your DNA may be able to save him. I shook my head hard, dispelling the voice. After Jill hugged him, she asked in a low voice, "She's not hurt, is she?"

Bryce shook his head and whispered in her ear, "She's not bleeding and I didn't smell anything wrong." Jill nodded her head and the worry creases around her eyes bleed away. She took a moment, gathering her courage, before turning and facing me.

"Why did you call me, Chaos?" she demanded.

"Berto and I have been out of touch for a few days. I couldn't risk my other contacts. So it was either walk until I was able to hijack a car or call you." I shrugged my shoulders and pushed off the wall. "Plus, like I said, I need your help."

"For what?" she asked. Bryce and Alec were sitting at the table, watching the exchange.

"My cover, Samantha White, has been made." I let the sentence hang in the air for a second, before forging forward. "So, I need you to go to Bahookie Bar for me. In the girls bathroom, underneath the sink, I stuffed a laptop. I need it and I need you to get it for me.

"No." Bryce's voice rang out, causing both, Jill and me, to turn and look at him

"You dismissed her from your service almost two months ago, Chaos. She no longer works for you." He continued his speech, but was looking at Jill, now. "You don't have to help her. Hell, you did help her and she tossed you aside like trash." His voice became a growl and his eyes started to glow.

"Jill, if you don't do this, you know the consequences. I need to start burning my alias. But I need that laptop. I'll be out of your hair as soon as it is in my hands. That's it."