The Real World?

2. The Real World?

In which things may or may not be as they seem...

After listening to the disturbing message from Zach, Chris was relieved to find that his next voicemail was from Darren.

"Hey babe. I know you're in flight, and won't get this until you land, but I just had the weirdest conversation with Zach. He said he'd already called you, so I guess you've heard by now that some guy calling himself Sir Burt showed up at the studio. Do you think it's really him? And that Ryan's really been kidnapped? Zach's freaking out, so I promised I'd go over and talk to this guy. I know we planned to meet at your place, but would you mind coming by the studio instead? I can't wait to see you! Call me as soon as you land. I love you."

Chris smiled as he pocketed his phone. No matter what craziness was going on, the sound of Darren's voice made him feel as though all was right with the world. Even so, he had no intention of engaging in what was sure to be a bizarre conversation until he was in a less public place.

Chris had always been a private person, and in some ways fame had made him even more so. He was acutely aware of his status as a role model to countless kids and teenagers, and he never wanted to behave in a way that would garner negative publicity or let his fans down. The last thing he needed was for someone to overhear (and probably record) him having a conversation in which he sounded as though he'd gone off the deep end because he believed that the fairy tale world he'd created was real.

Chris's desire to keep his private life private was also the reason that he and Darren had arranged to meet up at his house, rather than at the airport. Darren had begged to be allowed to drop him off and come and pick him up after his flight, but Chris had insisted that their farewell and their reunion should take place away from prying eyes, camera phones, and paparazzi.

Once Chris had collected his luggage and located his car in the long-term parking lot, he pulled his phone back out and hit number one on his speed dial. Darren answered almost immediately.

"Hey! You're back! How was your flight?"

Chris let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding. "Hi, sweetie," he said, closing his eyes for a moment as he leaned back in his seat and allowed the tension from his book tour to melt away. "It was uneventful — unlike what's been going on here, it sounds like."

Darren chuckled. "You could say that. I just arrived at the studio, and Sir Burt really is here. I wasn't sure how much you wanted to let Zach know, so I sent him out in search of snacks."

"Yeah, that was probably a good idea. The less need for damage control later, the better. But has Ryan really been kidnapped?"

"I'm not sure. Sir Burt seems to be pretty disoriented, which is totally understandable. I gather that he mentioned my name, which is why Zach called me, but now he's insisting that he'll only talk to you. How soon can you get here?"

"I'm in my car now, so if there's no traffic, I could be there in half an hour."

"There's always traffic."

"I know. Wishful thinking. Give me 45 minutes."

"Okay. Drive safe. I love you."

"I love you too, Dare. See you soon."

Chris started the car and eased out of his parking space. Part of his brain was focused on following Darren's instructions and driving safely, but most of his mind was whirling with questions.

Had Ryan really been kidnapped by the Enchantress? If so, how had Sir Burt gotten into this world? Wasn't the Fairy Godfather the only one capable of opening a portal between the worlds?