Time to Say Goodbye

22. Time to Say Goodbye

In which you never know how things might end...

"Fireworks..." Chris murmured against Darren's lips. "There really are fireworks when we kiss."

Darren hummed his agreement.

"Not to burst your romantic bubble, or anything," Unique interjected, "but I saw that, too. And it wasn't fireworks. It was the Enchantress. The moment your lips touched, she exploded into a million sparks of colored light, and then disappeared."

Chris looked around, still somewhat dazed by the intensity of the kiss he'd just shared with Darren. The Enchantress had, indeed, vanished. The walls of vines were gone, as well, allowing sunlight to stream into the Warbler Palace. On the platform in the center of the room, the glass jar stood empty. And on the floor at their feet, the Fairy Godfather and the other victims of the Enchantress's spell were beginning to stir.

A confused babble of voices began to fill the air, as those who'd fallen asleep before being aware of the curse tried to figure out what had happened, while those who knew more about it attempted to explain the situation. The din grew louder and louder until a dramatic chord from the magic harp cut them all off.

"Everybody listen up!" Unique demanded. "Since Roary and I were the only two beings in our right minds the entire time, and since he's too young to talk, why don't you all let me tell the story."

Everyone gathered 'round as Unique, reveling in the opportunity to be the center of attention, recounted all of the events that had transpired since the Enchantress's return. As her tale reached its dramatic conclusion — with the Enchantress being defeated and her curse broken by Chris and Darren's kiss — the audience erupted into gleeful cheers.

Unique played the opening bars to a mash-up of two familiar tunes, and everyone began to sing:

Forget your troubles

Gleeful days

Come on, get gleeful

Are here again

You better chase all your cares away

The skies above are clear again

Shout hallelujah

So let's sing a song

Come on, get gleeful

Of cheer again

Get ready for the judgement day

Gleeful days are here again

The sun is shining

Come on get gleeful

Shout it now

The lord is waiting to take your hand

There is no one who can doubt it now

Shout hallelujah

So lets tell the world

And just get gleeful

About it now

We are going to the promise land

Gleeful days are here again

We're heading across the river

Soon your cares will all be gone