Not So Jolly

13. Not So Jolly

In which there seems to be a pattern here...

Tensions were running high on the ship for the rest of the day. Rachel's renewed — and none-too-subtle — crush on Blaine had pushed both Froggy and Kurt past the bounds of their patience, and even Blaine himself was beginning to get snappish under the strain.

Meanwhile, Chris and Darren — although not directly involved in the bizarre love quadrangle — were feeling the stress of their own unresolved sexual tension. The prohibition against kissing each other was taking its toll on their new relationship.

Even Roary seemed agitated. His constant whining as he wandered disconsolately between the various members of his newfound pack only added to everyone's irritation.

Finally, Chris could stand it no longer. "I know we agreed to lie low during the day, and only travel at night," he said, "but this mission is going to fail if we end up killing each other before we get the other four items we need for the Wand of Wonderment. We're only a short distance from your kingdom, Queen Red. I suggest we fly there now and all go off to separate rooms for the night."

Darren looked a bit hurt by the suggestion, but no one argued. Froggy fired up the hot air balloon, and soon they were floating over the wall surrounding the Red Riding Hood Kingdom. Before long, they touched down outside the castle, and everyone disembarked with the haste of rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Rachel ordered her servants to show them all to separate guest chambers, and to bring them supper and breakfast in their rooms, so there would be no need for them to see each other until late the following morning. Then, scooping up Roary, she flounced off to her own quarters.

Darren gave Chris a kicked-puppy look. "Are you mad at me?"

"No, sweetie, of course not. But I think a little alone time will be good for all of us."

Darren didn't seem convinced, but he gave Chris a small smile and squeezed his hand before following a servant away down the hall. Chris allowed another servant to show him to his own room. Shutting the door of the only private space he'd had since arriving in the fairytale world, he felt like he could breathe properly for the first time that afternoon.

For a while, Chris luxuriated in the quiet and solitude. It was a relief to be away from his increasingly irritable — and irritating — companions. By the time he'd finished his supper, however, he was beginning to think that there was at least one of those companions whom he wouldn't mind seeing that evening.

Chris was just debating whether or not he should go in search of his boyfriend when a soft tap sounded at his door, followed by Darren's hesitant voice. "Chris? I know you needed some alone time, and I'll go away if you want, but I missed you, so I just thought I'd come say hi."

Chris wasted no time in opening the door, taking Darren's hand, and pulling him first into the room and then into his arms. "I missed you, too."

Darren melted into his embrace, chuckling a little. "Well, hi."

"Hi there yourself," Chris replied, grinning. "I think I've had enough solitude for the time being, and what I need now is some good, old-fashioned cuddling. Know anyone who'd care to join me?"

"Always."

...

The servant who delivered Chris's breakfast the following morning didn't seem surprised to find Darren in bed with him. "Don't worry, I brought a second tray with me, just in case," she told them. "I've already been through the same thing with Kurt and Blaine, so I came prepared."