Dynamic Duets

4. Dynamic Duets

In which our heroes meet some old friends...

"Has anyone ever mentioned that you tend to be a bit impulsive?"

"If by 'impulsive' you mean charming, then yes."

Chris rolled his eyes in a combination of exasperation and fondness. "Don't you ever consider looking before you leap?"

"C'mon, Chris, you can't tell me you didn't want to come back here just as much as I did."

"Maybe. But I would have liked to have a chance to think things through, first."

"What's there to think through? This is the happiest place not-on-earth, right? I mean, it's where we fell in love. There's literally magic in the air. What more do you need to know?"

"Well, for starters, where exactly are we? How are we supposed to find the Enchantress, let alone defeat her? And what are we going to do for provisions, since we got whisked away before we had a chance to snag any of those snacks Zach gathered up?"

"Minor details. We're together, and that's all that matters to me. I've missed you like crazy these past three days."

Chris's eyes and tone softened. "I've missed you, too. But that's another reason I'm not thrilled about being here."

"Wha'd'ya mean?"

"Were you paying any attention while Sir Burt and Mother Goose were talking? There's a curse over the entire Land of Stories. If we kiss, we'll fall asleep and never wake up."

Darren looked horrified. "Oh my god! I hadn't thought of that! That's terrible! We've gotta go back — now!"

Chris laughed. "Too late, baby. You'll just have to keep your lips to yourself until we can find a way to neutralize the curse."

Darren put on a pouty face. "This is so not fair."

"Come on," Chris cajoled, "it won't be that bad."

He held up their still-linked hands and began to sing:

Oh yeah, I'll tell you something

I think you'll understand

When I say that something

I wanna hold your hand

Darren took the second verse:

Oh please, say to me

You'll let me be your man

And please, say to me

You'll let me hold your hand

Now let me hold your hand

I wanna hold your hand

Placing their joined hands against Chris's heart in a move reminiscent of Blaine with Kurt in The First Time, Darren continued:

And when I touch you I feel happy inside

It's such a feeling that my love

I can't hide

I can't hide

I can't hide

Chris came back in for the final verse: