Chapter 3: Calling for Help

I led the tiny duo out of the restroom and through the store. Once we reached the fruits I told them each to pick something they liked, wanting them to have something healthy. Trent grabbed an apple while little Emma reached for a banana. I grabbed one for her and we headed to the checkout line. I told them each to get a juice and we checked out. My coworker, Jen, looks from them to me and asks what is going on. 

  "I'll explain later. I need to step outside with them for a bit, I'm going to take my lunch now."

  "Okay, when you come back in we need to talk..." the way she said this had me worried but I just nodded and, taking the children by their hands, walked out the door. We quickly made our way to a bench just outside the store and I had them sit.

  "Alright guys, I need to make a call. I have a good friend who helps kids with problems like this, okay? She's called a Social Worker." I explain gently.

  They both nod, wide eyed and still confused. I get them settled with their food and walk a few steps away to make the call.

  "Hello?" I heard my older friend's kind voice on the other end of the line.

  "Hey, Jessica... It's Brittany. I really need your help." I quickly explain the situation and, after a few moments of conversation we hang up and I go back to Emma and Trent. "Okay guys, she'll be here as soon as she can. She is going to need to talk to you both and I need you to tell her what you told me. Can you do that for me?"

  "Yes, Miss Brittany" Trent answers politely while Emma just nods silently.

  "Buddy, just call me Brittany okay? No Miss, it makes me feel old." I laugh kindly, hugging both children to me as we walk back inside. 

A/N: I'm up to 9 reads! That's more than I expected to get, especially this early in the story! Thank you guys so much. Don't be shy though! Comment, vote... <3