The clipboard lady

Chapter 1

"Mila, please go freshen up." Nate said with a concerned look plastered on his face. "I can't see you like this, it's not like yourself.”

If I had the strength to speak, to argue I would have but I just nodded and did what he asked. After all he's the only one that I have now. When I entered the bathroom, I just wanted to sink to the floor, but I knew Nate would just come and irritate me.

The water was soothing every knot in my body. It was unraveling and washing away my sadness miraculously. I just stood there, feeling eased and better than I did before. I felt more placed in my mind as if I was not there for a while, and that I somehow got it under control.

When I was done, I went to the now fogged mirror, and wiped it with my wrinkly fingers to see my face. Surprisingly, the shower did more than just relax me; it also softened my face up, making it look like my normal self.

I didn't notice that I was still standing there staring into the mirror until my feet started to ache and I wondered how long I've been standing there. Quickly, I threw on my sweats and tank top and came out to see Nate standing against the opposite wall, smiling my favorite smile. I couldn't help but notice how striking he was.

He had nice comforting hazel eyes, which turned green as well. His hair was slightly messy, the color of dirty caramel. He was built perfectly making you feel safe. While his looks can make you feel safe, they can also make you feel mentally slow while in his presence.

Nate was one of the closest people to me. If it wasn't for him right now, I don't know how I would have dealt with things. And I guess that's why he was home to me, my rock. And a frown appeared on my face just thinking about not having him in my life.

"Mila, what’s wrong?” he came closer and lifted my chin up gently.

Caught off guard, I tried not to blush. I didn't know that he was watching me so carefully.

"Um, uh, I was just thinking, that's all,” I replied coolly.

"We have company," he said. Grabbing me gently and wrapping his arms around my waist, he led me to the living room.

"We do?” I asked in confusion.

In Mid-step, I noticed a woman who was carrying a clip board sitting down on the couch, waiting...waiting to tell me that I was suppose to now live with my father. Like I didn't know! I've been stalling and wondering when they would finally arrive so that I can discuss my issues

When she saw me, the woman stood up. "Are you Mila Morgan?" she asked, looking at her clipboard.

Choked on words, I just nodded. I couldn't believe it. I didn’t know who he was. He was never in the picture. My mother never brought him up and whenever I did, she wouldn’t answer.

I was the one who went through those childhood years without a father. Don't get me wrong, my mother was great, but it would've been better to have a father figure around.

"I'll leave you two alone," Nate said and I gave him a pleading look to stay. He gave me the 'it's okay' look and I knew that he wanted to give me privacy. 

 "Mila, you're only 17, you're underage to be on your own,” the woman I now disliked said. “Your only choice is your father," she added.

 I already knew that though, yet it still didn't process in my head. But she was right, even though as much as I try to ignore it, I knew I would end up with my father at the end. I have such great luck.

A/N: vote, comment, fan?:)