Part Three: Sandy's Discovery

I woke up, and I was on my couch. The last thing I remembered was looking at the handsome boy that saved my life. I wondered if it was all a dream.

"I'm not that creative," I thought to myself. How could I have dreamed up a boy like that? He had dark brown hair, and dark green eyes. His voice was velvety smooth, and song-like. He didn't even seem human. Suddenly, I heard sounds coming from the basement. I grabbed my flashlight, and began walking down the steps. To my relief, it was just the boy. He was holding a box I had never noticed before. He had a puzzled expression on his face. He looked up when I entered the room.

"What are you doing in my basement?" I asked.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Andy, and I think we're connected somehow. My mom used to know your dad. Do you know of a woman named Coral?"

"Hello, I'm Sandy. I don't know anyone named Coral, but Coral is my middle name if that helps you at all." I replied, confused.

"My middle name is Josh, and my mom's name is Coral!" He shouted.

"My dad's name is Josh!" I shouted back.

He handed me the box he was looking at. Inside, there was a picture of my dad, and a woman that looked like Andy. There was also many letters from my dad addressed to Coral. I handed the box back to him. I understood.

"It seems that my dad use to date your mom, and they named us after each other." I said.

"It seems so," he answered. All of this reminded me of a legend my dad use to tell me, except the mermaid in the legend's name was Cora.

"Does your mother happen to be a mermaid?" I asked jokingly. His mouth dropped open.

"How did you know?" He asked. I assumed he was joking, so I decided to play along.

"I just know things," I replied smugly.

"Well, before I go, do you want a ride on my tail?"

"Sure! It's not every day that you meet a merman, right?" I answered. We walked down to the dock, and he jumped in. To my surprise, as soon as he hit the water, he had a tail! Well, that would explain how he saved me. I jumped on, and he began swimming. I felt like I was going one hundred miles per hour. It was exhilarating. I skimmed my hand against the water. After a while, we stopped, and I sat on a rock in the sea.

"I think I was meant to meet you," I said.

"I think so too," he answered.

We kissed.

"Please don't leave," I whispered.

"I won't."