Playing

The violin.

Merlin closes his eyes and lifts it to his chin, grabbing the bow.

His mother always played the violin for him when he was sad, she played this happy little song. Not quite a jig, Merlin couldn't explain it.

Merlin licks his lips, hoping no one would pass the door and hear him, he's not supposed to be in here but he was home sick, he couldn't help it.

He set the bow on the strings, then quickly drew them across starting the song.

Merlin laughs and starts to move with the music.

It was light and happy, he could see his pretty mother in front of him laughing and dancing to him playing for her.

He could see the village parties when they would have him play for them and they would all dance together.

He could see Will sleeping on one of the many nights he had trouble sleeping and asked Merlin to play for him. He was asleep before Merlin was half way through the song.

A tear slips from his eye but he pushes the sad memory of Will away.

His mother laughing. He could hear it ringing in his ear.

Merlin hit the tricky part and smiles, it took him years to be able to play this part.

Merlin laughs, when he was younger and he would mess up here, Hunith would take the violin from him and tackle him. Tickling until he begs for mercy, he learned quickly not to mess up. His mother was ruthless.

The song came to an end and Merlin smiles, caressing the instrument fondly.

Merlin quietly walks to the door and opens it.

Gwaine and Arthur come tumbling through and end up on the floor.

"What are doing!" Merlin exclaims, surprised.

Gwaine looks sheepish and Arthur answers, "we heard music and was listening, how were we to know it was you?"

"Mate how did you know to play like that?"

Merlin ignores Arthur and answers Gwaine, "my mother taught me, I was a bit home sick."

Gwaine nods.

Arthur grins, "well guess what our new addition is to the hunting packs?"

Merlin glares and kicks Arthur who is still on the floor.

Arthur lunges and puts Merlin in a headlock, giving him a knuckle sandwich.

"Ow! Get off! Arthur! ARTHUR! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! ARTHUR!" Merlin struggles with all his might but nothing becomes of it.

Arthur lets go of him with a laugh.

Merlin glares and rubs his scalp gently.

Arthur lifts his chin and crosses his arms, grinning flat out.

Merlin can't help it any longer, he flashes his dimples at the two of them.