Dragon

Arthur dismissed Merlin before he could fully put him to bed, why is that? Why did he dismiss Merlin?

It's late and Arthur is still pondering this when he looks out his window and does a double take, why on Earth would Merlin be leaving Camelot at this time of night?

With out thinking, Arthur quickly dons his cloak and rushes out the door, the cloth trailing out behind him.

Arthur follows his clumsy servant's trail to the clearing where he killed the dragon, why on Earth would Merlin come here?

Still Arthur lingers at the edge, out of sight.

Merlin, now close to the center of the clearing, throws back his head and utters a sound Arthur can only describe as a roar. "O drakon, e male so ftengometta tesd'hup'anankes!"

Arthur's eyes widen, Merlin's a Dragonlord. Shock courses through his veins, he's just about to step into sight when he hears a steady flapping.

Soon The Great Dragon lands in the clearing, Merlin lied to him?! This thing was supposed to be dead! What else has Merlin been lyng about? Arthur pushes that thought to the side for another time.

Merlin's eyebrows raise, "you were here quickly."

The dragon does the equivalent of a shrug, "I was in the area."

Merlin's eyes narrow, "and why was that?"

The dragon rolls his eyes, "I am still under your command, I cannot attack Camelot. I was watching out for the Druids, there has been an attack on them, but no more. Now, what did you need this time, young Warlock?" The Great Dragon sighs the last line.

Young Warlock? Arthur shakes his head, he'll deal with that later. For now he has a dragon on his hands.

Merlin crosses his arms, "I have been hearing whispers that Morgana is seeking to attack Camelot."

Morgana. Where and how did Merlin hear these rumors, and why hasn't he told me about them?

The dragon nods, "I'm afraid these things are true. You must be careful, the witch grows stronger."

Merlin nods, unfolding one arm to lift it to his chin, still holding his elbow with the other. Merlin paces.

"Be wary, young Warlock, the Druid boy will be helping the witch."

Merlin stops pacing and his head snaps to looks at the dragon, "Mordred." His voice was sharp.

The way Merlin said it, Arthur couldn't decide if it was a question or a statement. There was an underlining edge, like he suspected it but didn't want it to happen.

The dragon gives Merlin a look, "their bond grows stronger, I'm not sure there's anything the boy wouldn't do for the witch."

Merlin scolds.

"Merlin," the dragon's voice softens and he lowers his head to bring them eye to eye, "you need to tell the young Pendragon soon."

Arthur jolts, what were they going to say about him?

Merlin waves his hands around his head, "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know. He-he's not ready yet."

The dragon snorts, "he's ready and you know it, stop making excuses."

Merlin sighs, running his hands through his hair, beginning to pace again. "Ok! So he's ready, but I'm not!"

The dragon chuckles, "and why are you not ready? Haven't you been waiting for this? To be able to tell him?"

"Yes! B-but what if he hates me?"

"A half cannot truly hate that-"

"Which makes it whole," Merlin finishes it with him, "yes I know, you've said it before."

"Then why did you ask?"

"So many have betrayed him, I just don't want him to consider me one of them. He has lost so many." Merlin stops his pacing to face the dragon.

"So have you, young Warlock. A great many more, I am sad to say."

"But he doesn't know that." Merlin's voice fills with pain, sadness and desperation.

The dragon's eyes, on the other hand, twinkle with mischief, "he does now."

"What?!" Merlin's eyebrows snap together.

"I think you've hidden long enough, young Pendragon." The Great Dragon turns his head to look straight at Arthur's hiding spot.

Arthur jumps from the shock of being addressed, and stumbles into the clearing.

Merlin pales, taking an involuntary step back, "Arthur. Arthur I can explain. It's not what it looks like."

Arthur promptly faints.

Kilgharrah roars with laughter as he leaves Merlin to clean up this mess.

Merlin glares at his retreating form and rubs his eyes.

It's going to be a long night.