T W O

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside dreams; who looks outside; awakes." –Carl Jung

When the Jauregui facility first opened in the year 2024, there weren't bars on the windows. The council and Commander of Region One didn't think the children or young adults would be brave enough to jump, but they were wrong. After so many suicide attempts, the facility decided to install bars on all of the windows. We could still open them, but we couldn't go anywhere. Instead of feeling like I was in a mental institution, I felt like I was in prison too.

After a few more daunting minutes, the alarms ceased, and my daze lifted. Glancing over at the clock on my bedside table, I grimaced realizing I had to be up in a few hours but couldn't find it in me to sleep right away. I grabbed a couple books from underneath my steel-framed bed and assumed the position atop my window sill that made for a perfect seat. I had many books in my room since I was able to check them out from the library whenever I wanted. At least if I'm was stuck here for another three months, I may as well educate myself as much as possible before being thrown out into the real world.

Something had always fascinated me about famous authors and poets. I tried to read as many biographies and autobiographies as I could, and even their own publications when I could find them. Picking up the biography of Oscar Wilde first and began reading, I skimmed through the pages to my favorite parts and quickly became engrossed.

After a handful of chapters of different books, my head began to get heavy and I could barely keep my eyes open, drifting in an out of sleep. Eventually I stopped fighting it, and let myself fall into slumber. Only then did I dream of finally being out of the place I had called home for the last nineteen years.

I awoke again, but to the sound of my alarm this time, reminding me all too well of what happened just a few short hours ago. Realizing I was still perched on top of my window sill with the book I was reading opened in my lap and using my knees as a makeshift pillow,  I grabbed the book and placed it on the desk below me. Reading stories every night about people falling in love despite their struggles and their dreams really took a toll on me, and I still had hope that some brave soul from the city would come and rescue me from this godforsaken place. I sighed in defeat knowing that would never happen. As hard as it was to escape the Jauregui facility, it was equally just as hard to breach.

Jumping down from the sill and walking into the tiny bathroom to take a shower before mandatory breakfast at nine, I grew a little wary when I realized the brown headed guard hadn't woken me up. I rarely had to rely on my alarm, but I always set it just in case. Thinking of the green eyed guard, something about her made me giddy; a feeling that was new and exciting to me as I was supposed to never feel such emotion in my life. Growing up in the facility I learned to keep my mouth shut, be polite, and avoid anything that would get me electrocuted. That's how everyday had gone for the last nineteen years. Then there was the guard...the girl who saw something different in me other than being just another product of society. And that changed everything.

I then realized I didn't know her name. The guards didn't wear name tags unless it was for official business. Every guard had the same name: "sir" or "ma'am". 

Running a little behind, I decided to brush my teeth in the shower to give myself a little leeway. Afterwards, I threw on our mandatory uniform of black pants and a dark gray t-shirt, pulling my golden hair into a tight pony tail before slipping on my shoes. Grabbing the facility issued backpack off of the ground beside my desk, and before exiting the room, I clipped on my identification key card with my number to my breast pocket.

Rule #2: Thou shall wear facility required uniform up to standards as well as facility badge with your number present at all times.

I turned left out of my room and walked down the ever-white hallway that had a subtle hint of bleach in the air. Keeping my head down,  I saw the guards rummaging through the room of 5013 and a face instantly came to mind as I remembered the dark figure running across the yard. I stopped walking when I heard the talk of the guards.