T W E N T Y - S E V E N

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." –Edgar Allan Poe

CAMILA

I followed her down the hall and through a door that led to an ill lit parking garage as she ran over to a car and jiggled the handle to find it locked. She then struck her elbow against the glass and broke it, reaching in and pulling up the lock. Lauren opened the door and unlocked my side before pulling out the ignition and striking two wires together until the engine roared to life. She hurriedly put the car in reverse and pressed down the gas pedal, the sound of rubber screeching against concrete echoed throughout the garage, speeding through until we were outside and no longer near the facility.

My side was aching terribly, and I reached down to grasp it. I pulled back and was met with a blood-stained hand. I looked down at the wound and saw a crimson spot on my dress gradually expanding. I gritted my teeth as a searing pain ran throughout my body. I started squirming in my seat as I felt myself getting weaker by the minute.

"Lauren..." I said quietly. She looked over at me and saw my distress, her eyes widening at the realization that I had been shot. She fixed her gaze back on the road and pressed down the gas pedal further, weaving in and out of traffic as she did so. It felt like my heart was in my throat, and I weakly pressed the button to roll down the window in order to get some fresh air. The cold wind rushed in, instantly filling my lungs. I closed my eyes as I felt the wind blow through my hair and down my body, causing goose bumps to rise on my skin. I heard the sounds of traffic soon turn quiet as we must have made it to the row of pines. I opened my eyes slightly, seeing as it was getting to become an arduous task.

The city lights had turned to trees. The sky was indigo, and the moon was full. I watched as the rows of pines turned into a sea of green, completely engulfing my vision. I felt myself becoming dizzy, and I closed my eyes again. My pulse was slowing down, and I knew the bleeding hadn't slowed or started to clot. My legs were tingling, and my face was numb. My breathing had become difficult, and I subconsciously reached over in search of Lauren. She understood and grabbed my hand, lacing my fingers with hers instantly. For an instant, my heart fluttered.

I began to think of all of the people I would be reunited with once I died. I would see my sister and my father, even possibly my grandparents whom I had never seen before. I wondered if they would even recognize me, or I them. I wasn't sure how this dying thing worked, but then again, no one really ever did. I felt a wave of relief rush over me. Everything was starting to turn white. I looked over at Lauren for what could have been the last time. I had escaped death too many times for it not to catch up to me eventually. I had to tell her. I couldn't die without her knowing that I was in love with her, that it had been her all along.

"Lauren," I started. She looked over at me momentarily, and I felt myself starting to drift off as I barely felt her squeeze my hand. I swallowed dryly. "Lauren...I...I..." And that was it. My eyes closed, and I no longer felt my heart beating.

LAUREN

I cursed under my breath as I felt her hand go limp in mine. I pulled into the warehouse moments later, dust and gravel flying in every direction. I abruptly stopped the car in front of the main doors, flinging my door open and running to the other side to open her door and scoop her up into my arms. I ignored the ever present pain in my side as I held her body close to me. Her head hung lifeless over my arm as I walked over to the main door and kicked it repeatedly until Keith opened it with a smile on his face. It dropped instantly when he saw me and who I was carrying.

He held the door open for me as I rushed her in. Ally was standing off the side talking to Normani when she noticed us. Her face fell and drained of color as she guided me over to a table. She pushed off everything on top of it in order for me to lie Camila down. I carefully placed her on the wooden table, her brown hair messy and slightly covering her bruised face. Her white dress was ripped and stained with blood and dirt. I started backing away slowly with my hands on top of my head. Troy was pushing on my shoulders, getting me further away from the scene. Just then, Austin busted through the doors.