T W E N T Y - T W O

"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." –Anne Frank

AUSTIN

While Camila was out running an errand with Normani, the rest of the group set up everything for the night's activities. Camila told me that she found out the truth about Lauren's number, and while I was little angry, I was also a little relieved to find out the truth as well. I still didn't like the girl though, not even a miracle could change that.

A couple days later after our training, Camila told me that she had never gotten to experience a real Christmas, which she had only read about it in her books. I used to celebrate it when my family was alive, but I haven't since. I didn't see the point. Nobody at the warehouse celebrated it, either. We usually just ended up making a fire and getting drunk, but if Camila wanted a Christmas, then a Christmas she would get.

I talked Derek into letting everyone decorate the warehouse and bring in a tree, but only if we trained the next morning. I immediately took the deal and set out to find a tree in the forest, while everyone else either cooked or set up decorations around the warehouse. Keith came with me in case it would be too heavy to carry back by myself. We found the perfect one and chopped it down swiftly before we brought it back. I couldn't wait to see the look on Camila's face.

CAMILA

Once Normani and I returned from the city with a few things, she parked the black Camaro in the garage. I opened my car door and was hit with a rush of freezing wind. I raised my arm to block it, but it didn't help. Shivering as the cold air poured in through the garage doors, I rushed over and pulled down the door so another gust wouldn't come through. I helped Normani gather the items from the trunk, and we made our way inside.

I opened the door to the warehouse and the warm air engulfed my body, and I immediately felt the need to take off my overly sized coat. We walked past the cafeteria, and the smell of delicious food made its way through my nose and into my lungs. I turned to Normani to see a smile on her face. I was about to ask her why when we stopped walking. I turned my head to see the warehouse decorated from top to bottom in everything Christmas. There was tinsel weaved in and out of the railings. Fake snowflakes hung from the rafters. The black workout mat was removed and replaced with a red and gold rug. A perfectly sized Christmas tree was placed in the corner, decorated with matching red and gold ornaments as tiny white lights were strung throughout. Various candles were lit around the large room. It was my own personal wonderland.

"Oh my god," I gasped. "It's...it's..."

"Beautiful."

I looked to the right to see Austin enter from outside with freshly fallen snow trapped in his black beanie and eye-lashes. He walked over and enveloped me in a hug, the coldness from his jacket seeping into mine.

"Do you like it?" he asked as he pulled away.

"I love it. You did this?"

"Well, you said you never had a real Christmas, and I wanted to give you one. I talked to everyone, and they said it was a good idea. So, Normani agreed to get you out of the house while everyone else set up."

I nudged the dark skinned girl playfully in the ribs, and she laughed.

"It's amazing," I said, returning my attention to Austin. "You didn't have to do this."

"Yes, I did. You said you wanted a Christmas, so here it is. If you would have asked for the world, I would have died trying to get it."

I smiled and put my arms around his neck. "I guess I have to kiss you now, huh?"