Chapter 23

How I made it home alive was a mystery. The entire drive consisted of my phone constantly buzzing and flashing in the seat beside me, distracting me in more ways than one. Mentally I was pacing over what all these texts and voicemails would contain, and physically I had to force myself to restrain from reaching  for it.

I slid into the flat, my body insanely tense in preparation for the argument that was bound to arise. I kicked my tennis shoes to the side and spotted a glimmer of light coming from the kitchen. 

"Kyle-" I sighed, and moved toward the doorway expecting him to be raging at this point. Instead there was Brandon crouched down in front of the fridge. "Where's Kyle?".

"I don't know, he just sort of left." He shrugged, grabbing a stick of string cheese. "You should probably stop lying to him before he ships you back home."

I crossed my arms, gazing down at the floor. My head was spinning but I managed to come up with, "Do you think he's coming home?". 

"I dunno. Call him."

I pursed my lips in thought before turning and walking straight out of the kitchen. I went to the front door and reached for the doorknob, but as my hand clasped the silver handle it twisted from the other side and swooped open. I managed to back up in time to dodge the assailant of the door.

I gaped at Kyle with wide eyes, more so out of shock than fear. 

"Haley," He huffed, his voice was that of relief but also defeat. I seized up at the pause in his voice. "Are you alright?" He put a gentle hand on my arm. I opened my mouth to say something but instantly the contents of these past few months washed over me, causing tears to well in my eyes. He gave my arm a squeeze, before pulling me into a hug. 

I let out all my tears, as I tucked away in the shoulder of his shirt. "I'm sorry, for everything-" I breathed in sharply, "I'm sorry for lying to you so much, I'm sorry I dated Phil and-" He abruptly pulled me off him. I gave him a solemn and tiresome gaze.

He lightly laughed, "You're fine, Haley. It's okay. I'm sorry, you felt like you had to keep secrets from me." I offered a small smile, smearing a tear on the side of cheek with the back of my hand.

"I made shit kinda ridiculous, didn't I?" 

"For damn sure, ya did." Brandon's voice casted from the kitchen causing both Kyle and I to let out a laugh. I hummed in content, aware that the weight of keeping my life from my family was over. Being slightly exhausted from the brief overflow of emotion that came over me, I felt an urge to eat some warm, comfort food. 

"You guys wanna go get something to eat?" I asked flashing a smile. I heard Brandon tumble out from the kitchen and look at us with a desperate excitement. 

"We can take my car." Kyle grinned, grabbing his keys before opening the front door yet again.