Chapter Thirteen : The Fault in Our Parents

    Shawn Kents

    "Attempted murder?" I asked, just to make sure I heard him right. Travis had been gone for about two weeks now. I missed his laugh and his jokes. His obnoxiousness whenever he felt the need to be. His absence had taken a toll on me. Him and Bj were placed on trial in court but I decided against going. I couldn't stand to see them in orange jumpsuits.

"Yeah, but I didn't want to do it."

          "What you mean Travis? you tried to kill somebody, you obviously wanted to."

"Look, I ain't no snitch," he said stern and proudly over the phone, "but I didn't pull the trigger Shawn." His voice lowered almost in a whisper.

'Your collect call will end in 30 seconds'The voice on the phone said.

"Well, I'll talk to you later Shawn, aight?"

         I huffed in disappointment. "Okay Travis." I reluctantly said. The fact that   that I couldn't talk to him longer than 5 minutes hurting me inside more than I thought I would. My feelings towards Travis are, for the most part, pretty strong. But not to the point where I would pursue him. I care for him greatly.

"I love you."

    "I love you to- wait what ?" My confused face explained it all as the phone call was ended. I had to reassess what was just said to me. More so what I had just said to him. Never had I been in love before let alone have someone love me.

     "That's cute, y'all telling each other I love you and shit." Kayla smiled.

"Bitch I was caught up in the moment." I said mean mugging her.

I laid my head in her lap and became lost in thought as I went through my phone.

- Thanksgiving Day

"You still planned to go to Damon's house ?" Kayla asked looking in my bathroom mirror fixing her make up.

        "Yeah, why?"

"You didn't tell him about Travis?"

          "What about him?" I asked curiously as she caught my attention.

"About how you love Travis?"

         "And why the hell would I tell him that at a dinner with his family?" I asked, putting my socks and shoes on.

" 'Cause he has the right to know." She claimed.

I ignored her last comment, "I'll tell him later or just when I feel like it's the right time."

I grabbed my keys and walked out as Kayla followed closely behind.

We pulled up to Damon's house and got out the car.

I knocked on the door and Damon almost immediately opened it. Faces all too familiar turned their heads to look at me from the living room. The two people I've been trying to avoid -

Ma' and David.

"What's going on?" I asked, glancing back and forth between my Mom and Damon. He looked at me frantically. 

          "I invited your mom and David." He said.

"Damon, there's a reason I didn't want them to -"

     "Shawn," he stopped me from talking. Grabbing me by my shoulders,"It'll be alright. You worry too much." He kissed my forehead.

I sighed defeated, "Dont say shit when they ruin this." I mumbled walking over to the table.

- 30 mins Later

"How you okay with yo son fucking boys?" David asked. Kayla almost choked on her food trying not to laugh but I didn't find it funny at all.

Mr. Rodgers scrunched up his face as if he was thinking of something to say back.

Damon squeezed my hand. I could see the anger in his face. His foot tapping faster the madder he got.

His foot stopped abruptly, and his grip on my hand loosened as Mr. Rodgers finally spoke,

"It is none of my business who my son "fucks" as you would put it. My only concern is who he gives his heart to. Who he loves. And if he is recieving that love back." He spoke proudly as he picked his fork back up and began eating again. It made me smile.

"That's the same way I feel about Shawn" I heard my mother speak, and my smile became a frown quickly.

"Please stop fronting," I said rubbing my eyes in annoyance, "You've only just started accepting me, don't play." I finished. Kayla and Damon nudged me as my mom became silent. As if I was supposed to sugarcoat my words in protection of her feelings.

"Aye watch ya' mouth nigga." David said pointing his fork in my face. I smacked his hand away but he threw the fork and reached over to smack me. Damon and Kayla immediately jumped up, punching and slapping him in the head, I threw my wine glass at his face. The glass scattering as it impacted his head.

I got up and walked out.