8. Amity, Secrecy & Foreboding

Haven tensed- sensing a presence behind her- and turned around only to be met face to face with none other than Elijah Wentworth himself.

"E-Elijah!" Haven stuttered, her heart slamming loudly against her rib cage. "Don't do that- you scared the crap outta me!" She whined, her hand pressed to her chest in surprise.

"Nice to see you too, new girl." He grinned at her, which only served to make her nerves that much more frazzled.

His appearance was sudden and unsettled the group, but Alyssa was more skeptical than anything of his identity; it was much too convenient that he would show up just as they were taking about Wentworth Manor.

"Elijah?" She repeated the name in confusion. "As in Elijah Wentworth?"

The blond boy took this as his cue to officially introduce himself to the group.

"Elijah Murik Wentworth at your service- and who might you be, lovely lady?" Eli winked and grabbed Alyssa's hand.

"Not interested." She replied tartly, withdrawing her hand in obvious disgust. Alyssa may not have been, but Jaime certainly was smitten with the mysterious blond teenager.

"Feisty, I like it." He whispered as he walked over to a giggling Jaime, who was smiling like a fool.

Alyssa tried desperately to suppress a full-body shudder. She didn't care who 'Elijah' was- rumors be damned- the guy was bad news and she wasn't taking any chances.

"And what do they call you, hottie?" He flirted shamelessly, pressing a kiss to Jaime's hand. The softball captain blushed deeper.

"Jaime Moore." She answered with a coquettish smile. "Single at the moment." She added with a wink. Haven could have sworn she saw Alyssa almost gag- she couldn't really blame her for hating Jaime's flirty little performance. Said blonde sent her friend an icy scowl but hid it before the others saw.

"It's nice to finally match a name to a face." Jaime's hand drifted back to rest on her hip. It wasn't often a decent-looking guy showed up at West Valley High that wasn't either a total jerk or already taken, and she was going to make the most of it.

"Trust me, the pleasure is all mine." He replied, flashing a devilish smirk. This was just too easy; the girl was practically eating from his hand, which meant meals were going to be very easy to find should the need arise.

The athlete and honor student then took it upon herself to introduce him to the rest of the bunch.

"You already know Haven, and you just met Alyssa-" She noted, gesturing to the tall brunette girl that was frowning distrustfully at the new addition. "I think Emily went to go talk with her cousin Dianne- but I'll introduce her later." She promised after not seeing the pitcher in their little circle. "Danny over there is my brother, and he's friends with Connor and Preston- Haven's neighbor." The girl pointed to her brother and his entourage.

"Yeah, I've seen you around." Elijah offered his hand to Preston, who shook it casually but still a little wary, given the unsettling stories he'd told Haven not even an hour before.

"Can't say we've ever met before though." Preston replied, shoving his hand back into his pocket.

"Probably because I've been living with my uncle in Seattle for the past few years. I thought I'd come 'home' so to speak for senior year." Elijah chuckled. 'Until the he decided to kick me out...' He thought bitterly; Esteban really had thrown a wrench into his plans.

"I couldn't help but overhear you guys talking about me earlier." Elijah announced, a smirk upon his lips.

"We weren't talking about you- we were talking about your house." Alyssa corrected.