Chapter 3

"Verily, the prayer keeps one from the great sins and evil deeds." - Surah 29, Verse 45

***
Flashback

As stood there frozen, not knowing what should I do or say. Zayd reached out for me again and this time, he touched my arm. He caressed it like as if a moment ago, nothing had happened.

Well, it did. I heard it loud and clear. I heard him said it.

"Because I love her. I'm going to make her my second wife."

Those words are never going to go away. It will be etched at the back of my mind.

I snatched my hand away from him. I wanted to run to my room and lock the door, but been a bit OCD, I picked up the tray again, and walked into the kitchen. Zayd did not follow me from behind like he should; instead I heard the sound of keys and then a door slammed shut.

Ah! Thanks for showing that you care.

I washed the plates and cups, making sure they are sparkling cleaned and kept them back in their places. I took a rag and cleaned the dining table and placed the butter back into the fridge. Then I stood in the middle of the kitchen, looking around it. I need to do something. I need to clean something. I need to distract my mind.

But there was none.

So I dropped on my knees and burst out crying.

-----
Present

I woke up to the sudden movement. Then I felt strong arms under my back, carrying my body. I did not open my eyes, pretended to be asleep. I was afraid if I open my eyes, he will go away. It was like a dream, but only I could not see anything.

Then I felt him lowered me down and my back touched the soft comfy bed. I turned away from his body, tucking my hands under my neck. The blanket was brought up to my shoulders.

Then I felt it. A kiss. On my cheek.

I hid my smile and turned again, my eyes still closed. This time I laid on my back, facing the ceiling.

I was waiting for another kiss, on the lips perhaps, but it did not came. I waited for another minute.

Then I heard a door closed and the water was turned on. He was in the bathroom, taking a shower maybe.

I opened my eyes and looked around the room. I saw the digital clock stated 3.14 am.

What in the world was he doing? Where did he go till 3 am??

I quickly closed my eyes and turned away towards the window when I heard the water was turned off. Trying to pick up on the sounds over the sound of the night crickets, I heard him opened the wardrobe and closed it back. Then I heard him walked towards the dressing table and a moment later, a thud. Maybe he was combing his hair. Then he yawned. After that a total silence. I was very tempted to open my eyes, to see what was he doing.

A moment later, I felt him joining me on bed and his arms wrapped around me. Then he whispered, "I'm sorry."

When I woke up for fajr, I saw a note on the dresser. It had Zayd's handwriting and it said, "Please wake me up for fajr. Pour water on me, if needed."

I smiled.

I shook him and tried my best to wake him, but he was still not responding. I was in doubt on the 'pour water' part, but since he had written on the note, why not?

So I took a bowl of water and sprinkled some on his face. He wiped it with his hands and covered himself with the blanket.

"Abang! Time for fajr!" I shouted at him.

"Ok! Ok!"

But he did not budge. I pulled the blanket away from his face and poured the bowl of water over his face. The moment I did that, I regretted it. The bed and pillows had gotten wet!

Zayd immediately sat up, drenched. He looked at his hands in surprise and turned his face to me. Suddenly he laughed out loud.

"You did not just do that?!"

I had not move from where I stood; I was stunned at myself. He quickly grabbed me from my waist and dragged me up on the bed. Then he started tickling my feet.

How could he take advantage of my weak points?

I begged for mercy and finally he gave in. I could not help feeling elated over this sudden behaviour of his.

"Ok ok. I'll take wudhu', you wake Raouf up," Zayd commanded as he left me on the bed.

Still feeling happy, I almost skipped into Raouf's room. Waking Raouf up was not a difficulty. He woke up the instant I said, "Time for prayer".

So we did our fajr prayer together which I was glad of. I missed this moment. And from the look of Raouf's face, he was glad too.

Sometimes I could feel that Raouf knew what was going on. Despite him asking, "Where's Abi?" or "Why's Abi not joining us?" or "Why's Abi acting differently now?" I have never told him anything. I would filled him with the lies. Saying his father was tired and such.

"Abi! Today's Sunday. Can we go out? I miss going out with you and Ummi."

Thank you for making the first move.

"Where do you want to go?" Zayd asked as he made Raouf sat on his lap.

"Hmmm... How about Sentosa? I want to go Universal Studios. Can we?"

I bit my lips, waiting for Zayd's response, praying hard that he would not reject Raouf's suggestion.

Zayd looked at me, and asked, "You want to go? You could take a break from cooking today. We'll get ready now and go for breakfast. Then we'll go to USS."

"Sure."

Raouf jumped up and down, shouting "Yay!!"

I smiled at Raouf's excitement. But I wondered what's the real motive of Zayd's sudden interest in all this.

This was part of the deal. I made a deal stating on the things I wanted him to do for 30 days. It was simple really. If he decided not to go ahead with the list, he must divorce me. But if he agrees with the list, he can have me and her.

Now my heart beats in worry. If he follows the list, means he was still looking forward to marrying her as a second wife.

It seemed that a few things on the list are in progress or completed.
1. Solat jemaah (pray together) for every prayer unless you are working.
2. Bring us out (to an attraction) at least twice within this 30 days period.
3. Play with Raouf, make him happy.
4. Before leaving for work, kiss me.
5. Before going to sleep, kiss me.
6. Eat the breakfast that I made for you, the lunch that I made for you (except weekdays and Saturdays) & the dinner that I made for you.
7. Inform me if you're going to be late home.
8. Bring me out for a date (movies, dinner, etc.)
9. Tell me why you love me.
10. Be the man that I had fallen for.

Oh God! Please! I begged you. Please made them break up. I can't do it. Please.

"Rabia. What are you waiting for? Go get ready."

-----

A/N: What happened next? Stay tuned and find out!!

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!!