Chapter 9

"The best of faith is patience and magnanimity." - Ahmad, Sahih

***

ZAYD'S POV

"Assalamualaikum!" I greeted as I stepped in the house. I knew there might not be any answer as both mother and son will be sleeping by now. After washing my feet, I peeked in Raouf's room and found him snoring softly. I smiled at his cute face and went in the room, kneeling beside the green bed frame. I gave him a peck on the cheeks and brushed his fallen bangs behind his ears. It's about time for him to go see a barber.

I left his room and went in the master bed room. I saw Rabiatul's figure under the bed cover. I took a quick shower and change into my track pants and a sleeveless shirt. I gingerly picked up the cover and went under it. Lying beside Rabiatul, I watched her face. So peaceful and serene. I reached out to brush her face, but once my fingers touched her face, I felt the fire. I quickly sat up and touched her forehead. It was burning. I tried waking her up but to no avail. She was not even moving, but she was still breathing.

I panicked.

"Rabia! Wake up!"

I grabbed my handphone which was on the bedside table. I dialled the emergency number and managed to give the customer service officer a correct address after a few tries. Once I hang up the phone, my mind went in a whirlwind.

What really happened? How did Rabiatul ended up unconscious? Why didn't she say anything before?

I have totally forgotten about Raouf until I saw him standing by the door. "Abi, why are you crying? What's wrong with Umi?"

My shaking hand instantly wiped the tears that I never knew had fallen. I beckoned Raouf to come nearer. I hugged him and repeated saying "I'm sorry" and "I'm such a bad father and husband".

Raouf shook his head at my statement. "Abi. We are human beings. Everyone makes mistakes. You said so remember?"

My heart softens at his words. He was willing to forgive me. Even at such a young age, he had the compassion just like his mother. What I couldn't register was how calm he was even after seeing his mother unconscious.

"Umi said we should be patient with Allah's trials."

About fifteen minutes later, the paramedics came. They said Rabiatul had a seizure and needed to send to the hospital for further check-up since this was the first time it happened. I saw them putting on the oxygen mask on Rabiatul and it breaks my heart to see her like this.

I could never forgive myself if anything happens to her. Never.

----

The next three days on Thursday

As I waited in the waiting room, my parents and parents-in-law came along with my sister. I was agitated by the long wait. Rabiatul have been in the operating room for almost four hours.

When we arrived at the hospital that day, the doctor by the name of Lola Lee made me signed some forms, authorising them to get Rabiatul scanned. After the MRI was done the next morning, the doctor diagnosed that Rabiatul had brain tumor.

Rabiatul had gained consciousness by then and when she was informed of her condition, she breakdown and went into another seizure. I was horrified by the shocking news and got worried when Rabiatul fainted.

Doctor Lee advised going through a brain operation to get the tumor removed or going for chemotherapy which takes time. We immediately opted for the surgery without heeding to the warnings given from her. We wanted the tumor out no matter what.

After signing some papers blindly, Rabiatul went into the operating room for the eight hours surgery.

I saw the light above the operating room flickered and turned off. My heart started beating fast.

It's over?

The plump doctor came out with her lips pursed tight. Her face was as white as sheet and I saw her eyes glistening in the light.

I stood up, gingerly approaching her. I was afraid to ask but I had to know. "Is everything alright?"

"We..." she gave me a smile which does not reach her eyes."I'm sorry."

-----

A/N: Salam everyone! I know!! It's been a while since I updated. I had just gotten my keys to my new house and am going to be very busy with the renovation.

You might think that this is the end right? Well... it's not. I still have 1 last chapter before I officially end this book.

I hope I can update asap. Insha Allah.

Remember to vote or comment ya! Thank you!

split"4m