Family

After our little "talk," I would go visit Ash in the café everyday. Not only to see him, but some of the times, I would actually drink a coffee or something while I was reading. I had already finished the books I had gotten last week and now I had to go return them to get other books. Monday morning, I woke up feeling energized for some reason. I showered and changed into comfy clothes. Short jean shorts and a tank top. I also put my hair in a braid and got to work. I cleaned the cottage all morning. My mom started to help me when she woke up so the work was divided between us. We finished by lunch time.

    "Phew! That was tiring," my mom said while wiping her forehead with the bottom of her shirt.

    "At least it is not as messy anymore," I replied back with a small laugh.

    "True," she said while smiling.

    She then started to make sandwiches for us. Dad and grandma had gone to the grocery store that morning to restock on food, so we didn't have a lot of food options. I then took out the apple juice from the fridge and got cups for my mom and me.

    "Mom?" I asked while I was pouring apple juice into our cups.

    "Yes, sweetie?"

    "Do you remember Ash?"

    She immediately started to talk about him. How nice he was and how good-looking he was. That made me suspicious because she had not seen him 3 years. Back then, she would say how adorable he was, not how handsome he was.

    She noticed the look I made to her and she narrowed her eyes. I then remembered seeing her in the living room while Ash was dragging me to my room the other day. I immediately blushed and looked down on the floor. She started to laugh and I looked up at her.

    "Don't think I didn't notice you two the other day. I saw how he dragged you to your room."

    I don't think it was possible to turn redder, but I still did. All I wanted to do was to go under a rock and hide for the rest of my life. Mom started to laugh again and I was glad she was laughing. I had not heard that sound in such a long time, ever since we got the news of my grandpa. Which brought me back to what I had been wondering all this time.

    "Mom, are we going to spend all summer here?"

    She sighed and said, "I don't know sweetie. I did not ask for a leave from work for such a long time, and your father has a business trip in a month." Okay, now that was surprising. "A business trip? Where?" I said.

    "To-" But then she was interrupted by the front door opening and voices coming to the kitchen. Dad and grandma had come back from their shopping trip. I stared at my mom as if telling her that we would have to continue this conversation later. She quickly nodded.

    "Sweetie, would you so kind as to help me bring in some of the grocery bags?" my dad said.

    "Sure dad!"

    I went outside to the car to get the bags, and I almost had a heart attack. I was on my way to the car and got as many bags as I could so I would not have to make several trips back and forth. I was not prepared for someone to be there when I turned, and I let out a scream when I saw someone behind me. That someone turned out to be Ash.

    "Ash! Don't scare me like that! What are you? A ninja or what?!"

    "Calm down, it's just me, and no, I am not a ninja," he said with a chuckle. "Want me to help you with the remaining bags?"

    "Sure! Want to stay for lunch or something?"

    "Alright," he said while getting the bags.

    We walked inside and my mom immediately came out to say hi to Ash. She hugged him and told him how much he had grown, and how handsome he was. I went to go put the groceries where they belonged while mom was with Ash. I just hope she doesn't embarrass me.

    "Will you stay for lunch? I hope you do," my mom said to Ash.

    Ash's eyes found mine and nodded to my mom while looking at me. I started to blush by the intensity of his look and broke eye contact after 5 seconds of eye contact. I turned around to help my mom and grandma cook so that it would distract me for a little while before the inevitable came. I should have not asked him to come in, I thought.

    This was going to be a long lunch with embarrassing moments. I can already tell. I just hope it isn't as bad as I imagine it to be.