Chapter 41: Gladiators

Suzuki rested his forearms on the railings of his balcony, damp hair rustling in the night winds. He observed the crowds mingling below with idle chatter, too far to listen on their individual conversations. He was surprised to see so many people awake by four in the morning, but he supposed just like him, their biological clocks had been screwed over by gaming.

Suzuki sighed as he watched their numbers dwindle, then increase as more retired to their apartments and even more awoke and came out to enjoy the morning breeze. He had guessed it before, but he was sure now. The number of participants had significantly increased since that first day, most of which were made up of young adults.

Suzuki wondered how Genaco managed to get away with it. Kidnapping so many people should surely catch the media's attention at some point right? Then again, Jade had said she wasn't kidnapped, but brought here of her own accord. Did that mean there was some sort of application process? Wouldn't such a thing destroy the 'secrecy' the company was so eager to pursue, its game system constantly checked each individual in case he/she tried to tell anybody of their predicament?

Suzuki scratched his head as he gave up. He had so many questions; questions, whose answers he could easily obtain from any of the officials in this place. There was no need to rack his brain over it. Resigning himself to this, he retreated to his room, locking the balcony door and shutting the curtains behind him.

This action cast the room into total darkness, but the young man was unperturbed. He sauntered over to a wall and placed his palm on it. A section slid open to reveal a wardrobe with its own light. He selected, then put on a plain long-sleeved grey T-shirt. He closed the wardrobe, picked up his PDA from the workstation, then exited the room.

The corridor's automatic lights hummed to life as he walked down, his footsteps the only other sound to be heard.

Suzuki was glad for this. He had some matters he had put off long enough for Kashi's sake, and was now eager to get to it. He breezed down the stairs making nary a sound, through the dark living area to the kitchen, where he grabbed a fruit from the fridge. He was about to close the refrigerator door when movement passed his peripheral vision.

He froze in place, ears pricked to pick up the slightest sound... but nothing.

"Probably my imagination." He shut the refrigerator, drowning the room in darkness again. He pretended to turn around, only to swing back and fling the fridge's door open. Across the counter, its light lit up a clearly disappointed Taiga.

"Che. Thought I could scare the pants off-" Taiga swiftly dodged to the side, a thrown apple barely missing his face. "Hey! What was that for?"

Suzuki regarded him with a blank expression, then clapped as if remembering something. "aaah~ I'm so scared." He said this in the flattest of tones, eyes deadpan.

Taiga stared at the teen for a second, two even, then burst out laughing, unable to contain himself. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen! Who does that!?"

Suzuki shrugged as he shut the fridge and turned on the lights. "Apparently I do." He rounded the counter, and picked up the fruit he had thrown.

"Yeah, apparently you do," Taiga seconded with a short laugh. "So what're you doing up anyway? Can't remember the last time I saw you logged out."

"Hmm..." Suzuki pondered whether to answer or not as he rinsed the apple. "Have some business to attend to."

"What business?"

Suzuki growled under his breath as he took a bite. People like Taiga and Jade exasperated him. If he said those exact words to someone else, they would get the hint. But these two-nope. They would ask and ask, till their curiosity was satisfied. Well, in this case there was no reason to keep it from him except for personal pride. "I want to get started on the Gladiator program."