Chapter 3: Pre-Battle(Part 2)

"Whoa, whoa, calm down boy," Kashi cooed, as he patted down Drixlia. This was its first time on a boat, and it did not appreciate the swaying floor.

The proud horse was not the only one having difficulties staying on its feet. Stryke and Yuna had retired below deck, having fallen victim to sea sickness. Still, Kashi was delighted that most of them had sea legs.

"Norcha in view!" called a sailor from the crow's nest.

Kashi walked to the bow. A wide grin slowly formed as the fortress came into view. The damage from the previous battle was non-existent from the exterior. As they circled the fort, he noticed men on the walls tracking their advance. Impressive. They hadn't laxed in his absence.

The ship docked, Stryke jumped onto the pier. "Land, pure blissful land," he cried kissing the earth. His friends laughed as they joined him.

"Looks like you brought some company," Iason called, as he walked up to them. His armor and spear were significantly upgraded from last time. He gripped Kashi's forearm, grinning. "Welcome back, Kash."

"I'm back," Kashi replied. They walked side by side as the others followed. "I see you finished the repairs. How many men were you able to recruit?"

Iason frowned. "There was a last minute recall, so we had to give up half the recruits. The ones we have only number forty."

"No worries. That is more than enough for our cause," Kashi said as they entered the fort.

The bushes had been cleared, with training grounds taking their place. Jero paced back in front of a group of men practicing their sword techniques. He spotted Kashi, announced a break and walked over to the delf.

"It is good to see you again," Jero said, then noticed Kashi's guildmates. "Pleased to meet you. I am called Jero." They exchanged greetings as he joined them. "Aside from the repairs, we added some upgrades to the fort. First we made some residential homes for the soldiers and their families. Next we build a blacksmith station, so we could craft our weapons locally. The cannons on the walls have also been fully restored, with a few improvements to them."

Kashi nodded. "And the ships?"

"Should be coming in tomorrow morning. We were able to successfully buy two new frigates."

"Perfect," Kashi said with a smile. "Where are Paris and the twins?"

Jero pointed to a large building. "They are asleep. We rotate our shifts."

Kashi bent his head in thought. "Hmm, could you wake them up? I wish to go over our strategy in the courtyard."

Jero nodded and left towards the building.

The Maggots walked to the courtyard, drawing curios glances and whispers from the recruits.

"Um, Kash," Stryke called. "I never asked, but what exactly did you do for these guys? They're looking at you like you're some savior or something."

Kashi pulled out the maps he had obtained from Kerta. "I liberated the delta from a group of bandits."

Stryke stared, wide-eyed. "On your own?"

"Of course not. I had some help from Shadow, Lune, Hektor, and these guys," replied the delf as he pointed at four approaching figures. He introduced his old crew to his guildmates, and waited patiently as they exchanged greetings.

When the chatter died down, Kashi cleared a table and laid the maps on it. "This is the map of Riven to scale."

Leila and Jero studied the parchment, frowns forming as time passed.