Chapter 8 - A Kidnapping But Not Really

Today's the day I start recording my album and I expected that this day would start and go smoothly. But noooo, I had to be kidnapped by some stranger at the hotel when I was on my way to breakfast. He was tall and really buff and seemed like he can break my neck any minute. He dragged me to the emergency exit and got me out of the hotel in no time. It seems that he knows the building very well because not anyone from security noticed us. I tried asking him where he was taking me but he refused to answer any of my questions.

He brought me to a conspicuous parking space behind the hotel and pushed me into a car and drove away, not telling who he was, where he was taking me or what he wanted with me. I could hear my heart beating. Scenes began flashing in my mind. I was afraid of what might happen to me. What if I get killed? What if I don't get to see my family again? What if ... what if I don't get to see Winter again?

After about an hour of driving, my kidnapper parked in front of a bungalow bordered by an iron fence. He got out of the car and walked to my door and opened it. "Come with me, boy." He pulled me out of the car and dragged me into the house. It was a nice house and I thought that if I were to be killed in here, I didn't think I would mind. What the fuck, Greg? Seriously? I tried struggling free from my kidnapper but he was too strong. I was hopeless. I started saying my goodbye's in my head: Goodbye, world! Goodbye, family! Goodbye, friends! Goodbye, fans! Goodbye, Win!

When we got into the house he walked me into the kitchen and sat me down in front of a table. There was another person in the kitchen, a woman who was busy cooking something that smelled delicious. She had her back turned to us and was humming along to what I think is opera music that was coming from the living room.

The woman turned to face us, a plate of pancakes in her hands. She looked familiar. Have I seen her before? I don't know. I'm not sure. I don't even know what's happening. "Good morning, Greg. I'm Eleanor, Win's mother. I hope you're hungry, I made pancakes." She smiled at me. Wait, what?

I stood agape at Eleanor not knowing what to say. I was confused. What the hell is happening? I looked at my kidnapper with confusion. "Sorry about that, boy. I just thought it was the fastest way to get you out of the hotel without William knowing." He laughed. Who the hell is this guy? "Leonard Dela Cruz. I'm Win's uncle." He grabbed a glass and poured orange juice into it and sat beside me.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Estevan, I don't understand. Why am I here and why isn't William allowed to know?"

"Please, call me Eleanor. I just needed to talk to you – about my daughter."

"Uhm, okay. Uhh, Eleanor, does everyone in your family have the need to talk to me about Win?"

"What do you mean?"

"Last night, William had a word with me about your daughter."

"What did he say?"

"He said tha– he told me not to make your daughter fall in love with me."

"And do you have any plans on doing so?"

"To be honest, ma'am, I never did. I never intended to form any relationship with anyone during my stay here. I talked to her at the party because I thought she seemed like good company and she was pretty much alone. I swear to all that is holy, I have no bad intentions on your daughter."

She nodded softly at my answer. "I see. It's just surprising for us that Win is actually finally interacting with men." There was a moment of silence, and then Leonard decided to break it. "Guys, please, can we just eat? I'm starving." Win's mom chuckled and served us our pancakes. "Here, Greg, eat up." She said, offering me the pancakes. I thanked her and accepted the stack of pancakes smothered in maple syrup.

The pancakes tasted heavenly. I was almost done with my second serving of pancakes when I heard the front door burst open and the sound of scattering paws on the wooden floor approaching the kitchen. A gigantic dog appeared behind me and pounced at me. The dog started licking my face trapping me on the floor.

"Mom! What in the world?!" I heard a familiar voice exclaim. It was William.

I looked up from where I was lying and saw William and Winter was beside him. They stared at me both in shock. Okay, so maybe this was a bit awkward. I have an explanation! I uhh ... okaaaay, maybe I don't.

"Sherlock! Come here boy!" Leonard called out to the dog. Sherlock immediately removed his self on top of me and ran to Leonard. I immediately stood up and brushed my shirt. "Good morning, Sir William ..." I nodded at him, "... Winter." I waved at her.

"Mom. Explanation. Now." William demanded. Eleanor just laughed at him and said nonchalantly, "Son, you need to calm down. I simply invited Greg over for breakfast. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?" William just pinched the bridge of is nose in exasperation. I could tell he's pissed. "Mom, do you have any idea how much trouble you just caused me?" Eleanor just shrugged, obviously brushing her son off. "Breakfast?" She said, offering William and Winter some pancakes.

"No, thanks. We ate at the hotel." William answered raising his hand to his mom. "You," he said, facing me, "Out. Now. You still have your recording scheduled for today and you're late." He ordered. "Oh, William, he's my guest and he can stay for as long as he wants." Eleanor interrupted. "Mom, Mr. Gorenc is here for business, not casually eat pancakes over at his boss' mom's house. I need to bring him to the recording studio and I still have a meeting, which as a matter of fact, I am already late for." William snapped back.

"I'll take him to the studio. You go to your meeting. Winter stays here and help Eleanor at the café. Everybody happy?" Leonard said, standing up from his seat. Sherlock barked at him obviously answering his question. "And Sherlock comes with me." He smiled. Sherlock barked back as if satisfied with Leonard's last suggestion.

"Fine. Make sure he gets there on time." William demanded. "Sir. Yes, sir." Leonard joked. William just huffed and stormed out of the house. "I'll go get the car ready." Leonard announced, taking Sherlock with him. Winter just stood there looking at me, holding a kitten in her arms, still not uttering a word. "Win, darling, would you mind going ahead to the café? Carrie might need a hand with baking the cupcakes. I'll follow after I've cleaned up the kitchen." Eleanor asked. Win looked at her mom and nodded. "Okay." She answered softly and slowly walked out of the kitchen, her eyes still on me, and then she was out of my sight. A few seconds later there was a crashing sound from where Winter was. "What was that?" Eleanor asked. I stood up immediately and went to check what happened, only to see Win on all fours.