Chapter 2 - Winter Flame

I walked to the table that Winter pointed me to and saw that my boss was there. “Mr. Estevan, I want to thank you for inviting me tonight. I’m enjoying the party very much.” I said, shaking his hand. “Please, call me William. It seems my sister enjoyed conversing with you.” He said. “Ah, yes. I quite enjoyed her company myself. She’s wonderful and funny. Uhmm, she told me to sit on this table and wait for the show. May I?” I said, gesturing to a chair next to him. I was honest in saying that I enjoyed Winter’s company. She seemed so interesting ad there’s that air of mystery in her. I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s something in her that’s pulling me towards her. “By all means. Please, do sit down.” He said. I sat down and accepted a glass of champagne from the waiter standing nearby the table.

“Gregory, this is Summer delas Vegas, Winter’s best friend.” William said, gesturing his hand to a girl next to him. Wait, what? Summer?

“That’s Architect Summer delas Vegas.” She corrected William. “Hi, pleased to meet you, Greg.” She extended her hand to me and I shook it.

“Did I hear that right, your name is Summer?” Well, this is interesting, it’s not every day you meet two girls named after seasons.

“Believe it.” she said, giving me a smile.

“Well, that’s … I don’t know, Winter and Summer. It’s so weird.” I chuckled. Don’t you agree? I mean, yeah, I find “Winter” as a unique name for a person, but two best friends named “Winter” and “Summer”? It sound like their parents had fun naming them or maybe it was a trick of fate that these two became best friends.

“I know, right? That’s why they’re best friends. Now all they need are two other girls named Autumn and Spring and together, we could call them The Four Seasons.” William said, rolling his eyes making Summer laugh. I then recalled the movie “500 days of Summer” where the main female character’s name was Summer, then at the end there was another female character named Autumn. Then I thought, who would name their child “Spring”? Maybe someone who has a “bouncing” baby girl?

Summer had short and straight auburn hair that curled in at the end that frames her face, olive skin and striking blue eyes that make her look like summer itself. I laughed to myself realising that Winter’s name is like Summer’s, she looks like winter itself with her long chestnut curls, ivory skin and mysterious dark brown eyes. I went deep in thought of Winter’s eyes, those eyes that bore through me. It felt like those eyes could see through my very soul. That’s when I realised, I want to know her more.

“What’re you thinking about, Greg?” Summer asked me, pulling me back into reality.

“Oh, nothing, I was just wondering why your names are Winter and Summer.” I answered.

“Allow me to explain it to you.” William interrupted. “Winter was born prematurely on a snow day when we were on a holiday in London. She was so small that she had to be put in an incubator. The doctors said that her heart was weak and might not survive. Losing hope, on the night two days after giving birth, mom begged the doctors to let her spend some time with Win in fear that she may never be able to hold her daughter alive. She carried Win in her arms all night, lulling her to sleep while watching the snow fall from her hospital room and telling her how much she loved her. Miraculously, the morning after that, Win’s vital signs were normalising and the doctors declared her healthy. Mom considered that time a magical winter, hence, the name Winter.”

“Whoa.” The name ‘Winter’ did suite her; it sounds unique, just like her. “How about you Summer? What’s your name’s story?” I asked her.

“Oh, I have no interesting story about my name. It just so happens that my mom wanted her children’s name to begin with an ‘S’. I even have a sister named Sunflower.” she answered as she took a sip of her champagne.