Chapter 3 - Save the Last Dance for Me

Perfect, grandma was delighted with our presentation. Well, she should be. My cousins and I worked our asses off to perfect our number. And I had to go out there and dance in front of more or less 500 people. I was able to breathe properly again once we exited the function hall. I really can’t take people looking at me; it makes me feel so exposed. Luckily, I got to talk my cousins into wearing masks during the dance so no one would know which granddaughter is which.

I ran to the hotel room that mom provided us as a makeshift dressing room. Upon entering the room, I took off my mask and immediately worked on removing the pins that held my hair up. Once my hair was down again, I quickly stripped off my dance clothes and dressed up quickly into a navy blue cocktail dress that my cousin, Denver, designed for me which was readily prepared on the bed. I slipped into my black Louboutins that looked exactly like my red ones and put on my diamond earrings back and hurried to the party to find Greg.

I guess I was practically running on my way back because when the doormen spotted me, they reached for the double doors of the function hall. “Wait! No! Just a minute!” I shouted at them and halted a feet in front of the doors. “Just a moment. Let me catch my breath first.” I panted. They stopped and looked at each other, then at me. I don’t know why I was so eager to see Greg again. There’s just this in me that tells me that I need to see him again, and quick.

“How do I look?” I asked them, still breathless. Gotta make sure I don’t look stupid in front of Greg.

“You look great, ma’am.” One of them smiled.

“You’re not saying that just because I’m your boss’s granddaughter, right?” I said, smiling at both of them.

“Yes, ma’am. It’s true, you look ravishing tonight.” The other doorman answered.

“Thanks.” I said, chuckling and signalled them to open the door.

Once I got inside, I searched the room for Greg. I found him still sitting on the table with William and Summer. I walked hurriedly towards them with my heart pounding with excitement. Summer saw me approaching them and stood up to hug me. She was a sight to see in her dark green cocktail dress and black Louboutins that matched mine. She was wearing a charm bracelet which I suspect was given to her by William.

“Hey, girl, you did great!” She grinned.

“Really? Thanks, Sum.” I said as I hugged her back. Summer has always been my no. 1 fan in everything I do and I hers. Whatever we do, great or awful, we would always have each other’s back. Yeah, sure, it’s expected with two best friends but there are also times where we would tease and boo on each other.

“Really, really. I saw Greggy here open-mouthed while watching you dance.” She added, pointing her head towards Greg who was now standing behind her with a shocked face.

“You saw that?” Greg said with surprise in his voice. Did he just confirm that he was that amazed with my dancing? Oh, hello butterflies in my stomach that are going crazy as hell, you’ve been visiting me a lot tonight.

“Duh, I was sitting beside you, of course I saw that. And when it comes to my best friend, nothing slips past through these peepers.” Summer said, pointing to her eyes.

“Knock it off, Sum. Can we please sit down? I just did two dance numbers and my feet are already killing me.” I said, laughing.

“What a wimp.” Summer teased.

Summer sat next to William who was busy talking business with someone on his phone. I sat next to her and Greg occupied the seat next to me.

“Take a day off, for chrissake. This is your grandma’s birthday party.” Summer said to William who just held up a finger at her and continued talking on the phone. Summer just pouted at him.