Chapter 7

The closer we get to the town plaza, the louder the symphony of voices belonging to the citizens of Coronet. "Um, Han?" I say, a thought crossing my mind.

"Yeah?" Han says, barely looking round to acknowledge me.

"Um... I was wondering, how are we supposed to see the announcement without being spotted?" I ask, "Because I'm pretty sure that we can't just waltz into the plaza without being noticed."

Han groans and rolls his eyes. "I told you, worryguts, I know a place we can hide, watch this stupid announcement and not get spotted."

I sigh. Force, that kid had some nerve! "Fine. Ok. Lead on, Mr. Solo." I mutter.

If Han noticed my sarcastic comment, he made no indication of it. We walk in the general direction of the town plaza, before sharply cutting away to the right and following the natural curve of the Corellian design buildings, until we reach an old, decrepit looking one. Han walks over to the door, rusting on its hinges, then without hesitation, kicks it inwards. He ducks inside, then ducks his head back out to gesture that I should follow. I do so, ducking my head to avoid the low doorframe.

Inside, there is no furniture save for a moldering old chair and table, and what looks like the ruins oof an old fireplace. A rickety staircase winds up to the first place in the corner of the room. "This place has been deserted for years." Han explains, "I've come here a few times, when I want to spy on the plaza."

I nod my head slowly. "So," I ask "Where do you spy on the plaza from?"

Han flicks his eyes upwards. "Upstairs," He states, "There's a window looking out onto the plaza. From the outside, it looks completely boarded up, but from in here, there's a few gaps you can peer through without being seen."

I nod "Sounds logical."

Han starts to make his way up the steps, I follow. When I step on the sixth step, it gives way, and my foot slips down. I yell, and yank it back up. Han shakes his head. "Knew that would happen soon." he mutters, "Been rickety for weeks."

Slightly shaken, I continue my ascent. When I reach the first floor, I notice that, like the first room, there's barely any furniture, just a chest and, of course, the boarded up window Han told me about. I walk over to it, crouch down and peer through a gap just big enough to see the whole of the plaza through. The plaza is a rough oval, with a large stage and podium at one end and a large archway in the other. The stage is currently empty, but the arch way is swarming with people, making their way in after being registered by clone troopers. The noise of the crowds is audible from in here, but suddenly quietens down. I wonder why, until I see the red robed guards walking up onto the stage, flanking two men. With a jolt, I recognise both of them. Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader. My heart freezes; this isn't a dream anymore, this is reality. I am dimly aware of Han crouching down beside me. "I recognise the Emperor, but who's that other guy?" He asks.

"Darth Vader." I mutter.

It is then that Palpatine stands up onto the podium and speaks. "Greetings, citizens of Coronet! It is with greatest pleasure that I announce the transition of the Galactic Republic, into the Galactic Empire!"

The crowd erupts in cheers, just like in the senate. Stupid force-saken excuse of a mind addling Sith! I think. Palpatine continues "To ensure the security and stability of the Empire and your well being, several ordinances have been decreed." There is some muttering among the crowd at this, but it is quickly subdued.

Palpatine then brings out a long piece of paper with an equally long list on it and begins to read from it. It's so long and tedious, even I lose interest after a while. Honestly, I swear I can hear Han snoring beside me. However, a few things he says register in my mind. "All non citizens of Corellia must return to their home planet to be registered.............the rogue Jedi are to be hunted down............any insurgents, fugitives or people who do not register will be executed......"