Chapter 1

April 14th, 7:30

"Bye Madison!" Riley waved as I left the studio with my mom.

"Bye girl!" I called over my shoulder as I zipped up my purple jacket. We walked out into the warm Florida spring. We walked across the street and I threw my dance bag in the trunk. I walked to the front of the car and got in the passenger seat.

"Have fun at dance?" My mom asked. I nodded and pulled out my phone.
Nick🐸: hey
Madison🐮: hey
Nick🐸: do u have the history notes?
Madison🐮: yeah I'll text a pic to you when I get home. We just left dance.
Nick🐸: ur a lifesaver! Thank u so much!
Madison🐮: yeah yeah I'm fabulous😂
Nick🐸: and humble
Madison🐮: you know it
Nick🐸: did you learn any new dances??
Madison🐮: no. just had ballet class. gtg I'm home now. I'll text you the notes.
Nick🐸: bye bit

I put my phone in my jacket and as we pulled into the driveway I saw the mailman drive away.

"Honey can you get the mail?" My mom asked me as she parked the car. I nodded and unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the red SUV. As my feet hit the fresh cut grass, I heard a slight thud. I walked to the back of the car and grabbed my dance bag. I walked down the white driveway towards the mailbox. When I opened the mailbox, I heard the familiar squeak. I grabbed the handful of different sized envelopes, and walked up the driveway.

I shuffled through the mail to see who had what. Mr. Steve O'Connor. Dad. Correen O'Connor. Mom. Mr and Mrs. O'Connor. Probably a bill. A few magazines. And a big Manila envelope, addressed to me? I stopped and carefully opened the envelope.

Madison,
Congratulations! You have made it to the final stage of auditions for Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition! This will be held in Los Angles, California on April 23rd. If you make it to the actual competition, you will stay until eliminated. The latest would be June 23rd. Please RSVP by April 21st to jenifers@audc.com. Your mother must come with you.
We hope to see you and your mother there!
-Abby Lee Miller

My mouth dropped in shock and I stood there for a minute. Then I realized what had just happened, and ran inside squealing.

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled when I got inside.

"Yeah honey?" My mom asked as she cooked dinner and my dad sat at the counter working. With a huge smile, I handed her my letter. She scanned it over and hugged me.

"I'm so proud of you!" She said handing the letter to dad. I set the rest of the mail on the table and sat on the chair next to my dad.

"So can I go?" I asked with hope in my eyes. My mom looked at my dad and they talked without using their mouths.

"You can go! But you have to promise me, you'll make sure you want to do this, and that you'll take this seriously. And you'll do school work too." My mom negotiated.

"I swear I will! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I squealed jumping out of my seat to hug them.

"You're welcome. Now go do your homework. And help Kyle if he needs it." My dad said sending me upstairs. I grabbed my backpack and ran upstairs two at a time. I ran to my room and immediately called Riley.

"Hey Madison. What's up?"
"I got in! I got my letter!"
"So your in the competition?!"
"Sorta. I just need to complete the final audition process, and if they like me, I'm in!"
"Well I know you'll do great! I gotta go eat dinner. Call you later girlie."
"I gotta do homework. Bye." I hung up my phone and took out my history notes and sent a picture to Nick.
Nick🐸: thanks
Madison🐮: guess what!!
Nick🐸: what?
Madison🐮: I got my letter! I'm in the final audition!!!
Nick🐸: omfg are u serious?!
Madison🐮: yes! I just have to fly up to LA during spring break, and if they like me, stay, and hopefully stay until June 23rd!(that's the final competition)
Nick🐸: dude that's so cool! I'm happy for you. Promise fame won't change you?
Madison🐮: I won't be famous. So it won't
Nick🐸: good. Now we both have history homework to do.
Madison🐮: yeah. Bye
Nick🐸: bye bit