Chapter Three

Emily

Evan and I had been playing twenty questions while we were waiting for my sister to get here.

'So your favorite book is The Book Thief?' I nodded. I absolutely loved that book. I had read at least six times.

Evan's head suddenly snapped to the door. 'What is it?' I wrote. He didn't look at the paper, instead he walked to his bedroom door and opened it. 

I was suddenly tackled back onto the bed. I pushed the person off, but seeing that it was Sarah, I pulled her back into a hug. I looked over my shoulder to see the guy from earlier, Mark standing there, talking to Evan. The only word I could make out of their conversation was "mate." Where they talking about me? Evan pulled Mark in for one of those man hugs. 

Sarah pulled away and started signing to me. 'We were so worried about you. We had no idea what happened to you until Mark told us what happened.'

I stopped her before she went on. 'We?' I asked her.

She nodded. 'Mom and Dad,' she said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I groaned and fell back onto the bed. Evan came over to me with the notebook in hand.

'Are you alright?' he wrote. 

I nodded. I signed 'Just peachy.'

I looked and saw Sarah laughing way too hard at my comment, while Evan and Mark just had confused looks on their faces. I started laughing at their confusion, understanding what Sarah was laughing at.

Evan wrote down something and showed it to me. 'You have a gorgeous laugh.' I could feel the heat rising up in my cheeks. 

'Break it up, love birds, I need to call my mom,' Sarah signed. She must've said out loud, because Evan climbed off the bed, pulling me with him. He started talking, telling from the vibrations in his chest. He turned me around facing my sister.

'Hey, he told me to tell you that he is going to get some food for us. He'll be back in a minute. I'm going to call Mom. Are you cool by yourself?' 

I nodded. 'What about Mark?' I asked her.

She looked towards him and started talking. Then she turned back to me. 'He is going to go with me.'

I looked between the two, seeing how Mark was looking at her. I gasped.

'He's your mate!' I signed to her. She looked down and blushed. I scoffed. I reached up to my mouth so I would know if my lips were moving correctly. "I can't believe you didn't tell me!"

She shushed me and turned to Mark, probably explaining my sudden outburst. 

Evan suddenly burst into the room, his mouth moving quickly. I let Sarah explain what happened.

I flopped down onto the bed and pulled out my phone. Luckily, it was in my pocket when Evan practically kidnapped me. I felt the bed dip as Evan laid down next to me. I grabbed the notebook, when I thought of something better.

"What happened to the food?" I asked. Evan sat up, shocked. He reached for the notebook when I stopped him. "You can talk, just slow. I can't understand you when you talk fast."

He nodded. "Do you want to go out or something?"

I shook my head. "I want to sleep," I said, getting underneath the blankets. 

He looked at me like I was crazy. "It's almost ten o'clock."

I shrugged. "I woke up at seven." He shook his head and went to turn off the lights. When he did, he climbed back into bed with me. He pulled me close to me, snuggling his head into my neck. I felt his chest vibrate, knowing he was talking, but he probably didn't want me to reply, since he knows that I wouldn't understand him.

I closed my eyes and fell asleep to the steady movements of Evan's breathing.