The Girl who Remembered

"So... looks like someone isn't hungry." I say to Stiles as he sets down the tray filled with the food we ordered at Panda Express.

""Well, when a friend is paying for your food, might as well take advantage of that offer. Thanks for the food but the way." Stiles says as he sits down, facing me.

"Oh yeah, sure. No problem. It's food. I don't buy anything that's over $10, except food."

"What if I become famous and a ticket to meet me is like $80, would you waste $80 to see me?"

"No." I say releasing a small laugh.

"What? Why not?"

"Because I see you basically everyday now."

"Yeah, but I'll be famous. Do you know how many people would want to see this great piece of meat?" He says while pinching his own cheeks.

"If so many people wants you, how come you're still single?"

"I... okay, well..." He pauses, then smirks, looking directly at me, "That's cause I'm waiting for you to make a move." He says giving me a wink. How can he do that so flawlessly?

"Looks like you're gonna have to wait for a long time."

"Well, time flys by fast when I'm with you." He says smiling while biting his lips.

"You are so cheesy!" I say, not able to contain my laughter. I smack his arm and he groans. "Just eat. You said you were starving."

"One step ahead of you." He says as he stuffs the chow main in his mouth.

~~~

"But really," he looks up at me, only to see me nearly finishing my chow main, with a few noodles hanging from my mouth. Great, he knows that I eat like a pig. He smiles and continues, "in an alternative universe, every girl would want me."

"We're really gonna talk about this again?" I wipe my mouth with the clean napkin laying in the tray.

"Yeah. I'll be famous in that alternative universe."

"Really? How were you famous there?"

"I'm an actor there. Actually you, and everyone I'm friends with, will be in the same show as me too!"

"What? Okay, if I am an actress and we're in the same show, what is in about?"

"What's the opposite of reality?"

"Fantasy. Hold up. I am not going to act like a princess or anything."

"Okay fine. I don't know. The show will be like this supernatural type of thing."

"What would I do?"

"Well, you're kinda quiet in this world, so over there, you'd be really loud. You'll probably scream every word you say."

"That's weird. I don't think I'd what to watch this show."

"No! It's be great! We'll be together, and Scott would be my sidekick in the show."

"Still wouldn't watch it."

"And maybe, in that alternative universe, Allison would still be alive." Stiles murmurs.

"Wait, what? How do you know about Allison?"

"I... ahh... you told me." He says nervously.

"I did? Huh, I don't remember telling you." I say as I get up to throw away the empty plastic boxes that used to contain

"Yeah. That's was a special moment actually. You told me everything that happened in your life at the Stargaze Hotel."

Flashbacks from that night suddenly popped up. And I remember the one most amazing days I've ever had. A majority of 'the most amazing days I've ever had' was spent with Stiles. He's always been there ever since I came here to Beacon Hills. And no one has ever spent some much time to be with me and get to know me. It made me feel special. He made me feel special. He actually cared about me.

"Earth to Lydia. Is she there?" He says, then he suddenly claps his hands in front of my face. Snapping me back to reality.

"What? Oh, sorry. I just... how could I forget that? It was one of the best days of my lives. Looking back at my life, after Allison left, all everyone did was treat me like I was their charity case that they had to help. They didn't really care, they just felt like it was their responsibility to help me. Like they were basically forced to help. I just felt so vulnerable and hopeless. And I was suicidal at the time. It was scary for me. I just felt so alone. Like no one really understood me. My mom took me to rehab, the hospital, even therapy. It didn't help that much. I just didn't want to be around people. The doctor said that it was best if my mom to watched me carefully and told me to take Antidepressants. The doctor said it would reduce my depression temporarily, but all it did was take the pain away till I was numb. It didn't help that much either. Then we moved and I met you and Scott. Malia, I guess. She did make my life a bit more fun and challenging. And once in my life I felt normal. I see Kira smiling again too. I don't know. I guess I just needed change and become a new, better person." I look at Stiles, who is listening to every word I say. Who's looking at me with his soft brown eyes.

"I just want to thank you. For helping me become better again. It's just that, every time I'm with you, I feel free, you know?"

"Yeah. I do." His eyes shifts down to see me play around with hair tie. "I notice that too." He says with a smile.

"What?" I say, and as I look down, I realize what he meant.

"I like how you play around with your hair tie when you're nervous or in a deep thought."

"You've seen me do this before?" I'm still in shock by how much Stiles know about me. How much he notices the little things about me. "Actually, hold up okay. I need to go to the restroom." I say whispering.

"Yeah, sure. I'll stay here."

~~~

I get out of the stall in the restroom, and wash my hand, obviously. Is it weird that I like the smell of this pink soap?

I look at myself in the mirror. How could Stiles see something in myself that I can't? What does he see in me?

I search through my bag to see if I had any makeup wipes remover. I hate wearing makeup because it feels heavy on my face, but it also makes me feel more confident. I found nothing. Although, I did find the contain halfway full of antidepressants.

"I don't need this." I whisper, "I don't need this. I have Stiles and everyone else in my life. My life isn't the best, but it's working, and it's better than before." I stare at the pills one more time until I flush them out and throw the plastic container away.

Here's to a new life.

-

"A cracked phone will always show it's damages. But that doesn't mean that it's useless. It still works. And if you cared for it, it wouldn't have been broken in the first place."
~ @thecastaways (Jamie Landicho)