Chapter Two

Chapter two

EM I R Y

"He who is afraid to ask is ashamed of learning."

- DANISH PROVERB

I sighed looking down at my lunch and wishing I wasn't at school. At least David picked me up this morning. However, David was missing from our lunch table and I was currently sitting alone. He's probably busy with some girl.  That seems like him. Not flirting with my attractive new neighbor. I could feel my cheeks heat up at the thought of my new neighbor. Tyler was his name. It was a nice sounding name, it suited him. And yet, my brain still decided to focus on the negative. That David, my - apparently not - straight best friend would hit on him. And yeah okay, he hit on him, not that big of a  deal. But it was a big deal. At least to me.

I mean, I was in love with him, so yeah it hurt. And while I never really cared if he hit on girls something about him hitting on a boy made things seem different. Really different. I could barely look at him the same way this morning. It was the only thing going through my mind in the car. Maybe it was the fact that I knew he was attracted to girls, end of story. I could never give him want he wanted because I wasn't a girl. But now that he flirted with a guy it became a "I'm not good enough for you" type of feeling. Well that, and the fact that he promised me that if he wanted to experiment with guys - if he ever found out he was gay - I would be the one he would come to. Only me.

Of course that was when we were younger and it seems he's forgotten. But still, it felt wrong. That was the type of promise you didn't forget easily. And the way Tyler said it. Like he was seriously tired of being hit on by guys like David. Like David was actually trying really hard to get his attention. Although I didn't remember how exactly David or Tyler looked when they were talking, I did remember Tyler being cheerful. But I suspect that was just his work attitude. And I couldn't see David's face as I was looking at his back the whole time. I mean, I guess his body language was kind of suggestive. I clearly remembered Tyler locking eyes with me. He seemed to captivate me and command my attention immediately. It was a feeling I knew well from the looks David gave me sometimes.

I stabbed my spork into a grape and stuck it in my mouth. I was thinking about why sporks were even invented when a body sat down next to me. I sighed, slightly angry.

"What do you want?" I asked lowly.

"Hello to you too neighbor." I heard a chuckle and looked up.

"You're not David..." I said awkwardly. It was Tyler. And I felt like melting into the floor. Is the only thing I'm good for just embarrassing myself?

Tyler smiled warmly at me, making my heart temporarily freak out. He had a really nice smile. It was different from his smile at Subway. It was a lot softer and more gentle. It was one of those smiles that really made you feel happy for no reason. A nice, kind smile. I tried to avoid eye contact as my cheeks started to get extremely warm.

"Ah, sorry man! That was totally meant for me." David said sitting down in the seat across from me. I instantly glared at him and he made a hurt face. "Oh come on Em! What did I do? I took you to school this morning and everything!"

I continued to ignore him as Tyler laughed. I tried not to be too effected by the sound. David started to whine and lend over the table. He tried to get me to look at him. I saw his face underneath mine from the corner of my eye. I turned my head away from him and his hands griped the sides of my face and pulled it back towards him. He squished my cheeks together to get some kind of reaction out of me. I rolled my eyes at him.