Chapter Four

Chapter Four

E M I R Y

"The lovesick, the betrayed, and the jealous all smell alike."

- Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

     "Bye Emiry!"

I waved to Tyler as he reversed into his driveway. We've been regularly seeing each other after therapy sessions. Going on not dates to the park and the mall. Mostly going to little restaurants for lunch and then aimlessly talking about anything and everything. Then we would pick a place to go and end up there for a few hours or the whole day. It was nice. Refreshing even.

And I was surprisingly happy. Extremely happy even. We talked during 1st period and lunch and David seemed to notice I was happier in the mornings when he came to pick me up. Which would make him smile and that made me smile even more. I sighed as I laid down on my bed, shoving my face into my pillows and trying to stop feeling so happy. While it was much appreciated, it was a little scary that I was so happy. And that it was Tyler who was the one that caused this much happiness.

Although, I couldn't really tell if I was happy from Tyler or the idea of Tyler being a nice person willing to be my friend. Either way I didn't really care. It was just nice talking to someone other than David now. Because every time I'm around David I'm afraid that I'll say something wrong or accidentally let something slip and ruin our whole relationship. And I mean, I felt that with Tyler too, but not so much. Not on such a high level.

Just that thought made me smile harder and giggle a little to myself.

"I need to stop." I said to myself, but it just made me laugh harder and smile more.

The next morning I woke up the same way I always do. But I felt a little lighter. A little happier. I took my shower, got dressed, greeted mom and had breakfast, took my pills, and then when I heard the honk outside I got into the car with David. I smiled at him.

"Good morning!" I said.

"Morning, Em. You've been in a good mood lately." David smiled back laughing.

"And you've actually been picking me up."

David winced, "Ouch. That hurt."

I rolled my eyes, "You're such a drama queen."

David shrugged, "Well, you're not wrong."

We arrived at school a few minutes later, still bantering. But I was smiling and laughing the whole time and I was having so much fun. He dropped me off at my first period and I greeted Tyler as I sat down in my seat. And then he was rambling on about something, but I don't think I was paying attention. Because I was watching the sunlight catch in his green eyes and how his hair seemed a little fluffier today. He looked so excited or happy over whatever he was talking about and it just kind of, made me smile even more. But then he suddenly stopped talking and he was smiling at me. And he was looking at me directly. Staring into my eyes, and I flushed red and averted my eyes.

Tyler chuckled, "You're not even listening to me, Emiry."

"S-Sorry..." I stuttered out.

"It's fine. What were you thinking about?"

I felt the heat in my cheeks grow warmer, "Nothing important."

Class started and we went on with our day. I thought about Tyler some more, but I was also thinking about David. He looked really good this morning. He had cut his hair recently and it made me a little sad because I liked his longer hair, but he still looked good with short hair. I tugged at my own hair. It was getting a bit long too.